Skip to main content

Day Three – The Love Dare: One Wife’s Journey


The scripture verse that touched me in particular today is –

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Philippians 2:3

Lord, I definitely have issues with humility. It’s easy for me to think well of those I like or admire, but I learned a “victim mentality” growing up. Although I no longer seek to feed my “martyr complex”, I still need You to change me in this area. Please teach me to see people with Your eyes so that my selfishness reduces on a daily basis until it ceases to exist at all.

Love is not selfish…
Today’s dare is to buy a gift. During my first reading of "The Love Dare" back in October 2008, I thought about it while I was waiting for BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) to begin. I wondered if I could pretend that the hard-boiled eggs I made him last night was today’s gift. No. I’m ashamed of myself for wanting to cop-out like that. Then it came to me. I had to stop at the bank anyway, and there is a Dollar Tree in the same shopping center as the bank, so I’d run into that store and pick up a couple of cold packs for him to put in his lunch bag to keep everything cold. That’s what I did. They’re in the freezer, now, getting ready for use.

But I realized that I missed it – at least part of it. Or I should say that the Holy Spirit finally got through my thick skull, as I don't believe I realized anything on my own! A lady at church is making the church fellowship meal this evening. She asked if I would go pick her up a box of corn flakes, and in a nutshell, I refused. I came up with several excuses – including my bank and shopping errands and having to drop my husband off at work. But I still said, “no”. Now, instead of receiving a blessing because I loved my sister-in-Christ well, I get to swallow my pride and apologize to her, tonight. Again, this love dare isn’t just about my marriage, it’s about loving others like Jesus does. I pray that God will make me more willing to serve the next time I have the opportunity to do so.



This is now...

Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10

It is impossible to be selfish and put someone else first. To be devoted to another requires sacrifice. To give preference to another requires denying oneself.

I find myself able to put my husband first when it doesn’t cost me much. I am devoted to him above all other people. I allow him to have his way when I really don’t have a preference or an opinion. One out of three ain’t bad… Actually, what this tells me is that I’m not very sacrificial. I guess I’m pretty selfish. Although I do want what’s best for him, and I want him to feel loved by me. How can I achieve this? Buying a gift won’t do. Maybe I’ll make him a favorite meal. Liver and onions? YUCK!

Lord, I realize I’m selfish and I don’t want to be. Please cleanse me and give me creative ideas to show my husband how much You and I care for him. And please don’t ask me to show it with a plate of liver. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen