Skip to main content

Word Study: Weed

Word Study

·         Five Steps for a Word Study:

o   Step 1 – Choose a word to study- start with a limited word, ie. surrender, obey, not something like Messiah or Lord

o   Step 2 – Define the word with a modern definition from a dictionary.

o   Step 3 – Discover Bible usages of the word (use a concordance to write out Scripture references, use a Bible dictionary to discover deeper meanings to the word, find alternate words used (synonyms) in other translations for the word, take notes of the context of each scripture where the word is used – book, writer, concepts, etc.) Choose 3 of the references for your word and any comments or notes you have associated with those references.

o   Step 4 – Summarize what you have learned about the word from your study.

o   Step 5 – Apply the word study – to your relationship with God, to your life, your relationships and the church.

 

Weed: 

o   Step 1:  Weed

o   Step 2:  noun - a wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants.  "keep the seedlings clear of weeds"  verb - remove unwanted plants from (an area of ground).  "I was weeding a flower bed"

o   Step 3: 

§  Scripture verses (Blue Letter Bible) – “weed” appears once in the NIV!  [Mat 13:41 NIV] 41 The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil.

“weeds” appears 11 times in 11 verses (attached)

§  (Vine’s Expository Dictionary) – Verb – Strong’s Number G4816 – Greek: sullego – Gather, Gathering: “to collect, gather up or out” (sun, “with” lego, “to pick out”), is said of “gathering” grapes and figs, Matt 7:16; Lk 6:44 (cp No. 5); tares, Mt 13:28, 29, 30, 40; good fish, Mt 13:48; “all things that cause stumbling, and them that do iniquity,” Mt 13:41.

§  weed - συλλέγω in Greek (Blue Letter Bible) – to gather up; to collect in order to carry off.

§  (Holman Bible Dictionary) – no entry

o   Step 4: The noun “weed” in Scripture is one who causes sin or stumbling, does evil – the wicked.  In the verb sense, “weeding” is an action done at the end of the age by the angels under the authority of Jesus Christ, the just Judge.  They will gather all things that cause sin and all who do evil, the wicked, and they will throw them into the blazing furnace.  Scripture explains that weeds are allowed to grow with wheat so as not to uproot the wheat prematurely.  In other words, weeds are allowed to grow to protect the wheat.

o   Step 5: The kingdom of heaven is not my garden to weed.  Weeds are permitted in the garden for a time – to protect the wheat from being uprooted too soon.  When the time comes, the wheat and weeds will be harvested and gathered – the wheat into the kingdom and the weeds to be burned in the blazing furnace.  Plainly, the wheat goes to heaven and the weeds go to hell.  Jesus will send His angels, according to Mt 13:41, to weed out of His kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil.  I don’t want to cause sin!  I don’t want to cause my brothers or sisters to stumble.  I want to abide in Christ, connected to the Vine, producing fruit in keeping with repentance, letting Him prune the unproductive parts of me.  I want to serve Him in this garden (BSF, Home, Choir, Sunday School, work, etc.) with joy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen