Skip to main content

Word Study - Kingdom of God

Homiletics was a bit light this week because I focused my energy on the BSF Leaders assignment to do a word study on "kingdom of God".


Word Study

·         Five Steps for a Word Study:

o   Step 1 – Choose a word to study- start with a limited word, ie. surrender, obey, not something like Messiah or Lord

o   Step 2 – Define the word with a modern definition from a dictionary.

o   Step 3 – Discover Bible usages of the word (use a concordance to write out Scripture references, use a Bible dictionary to discover deeper meanings to the word, find alternate words used (synonyms) in other translations for the word, take notes of the context of each scripture where the word is used – book, writer, concepts, etc.) Choose 3 of the references for your word and any comments or notes you have associated with those references.

o   Step 4 – Summarize what you have learned about the word from your study.

o   Step 5 – Apply the word study – to your relationship with God, to your life, your relationships and the church.

 

 

 

 

Kingdom of God: 

o   Step 1:  Kingdom of God (Kingdom of heaven)

o   Step 2:  Kingdom of God, also called Kingdom Of Heaven, in Christianity, the spiritual realm over which God reigns as king, or the fulfillment on Earth of God's will. The phrase occurs frequently in the New Testament, primarily used by Jesus Christ in the first three Gospels. ... their hope was the coming Kingdom of God.

o   Step 3:  “Kingdom of God” occurs 66 times in 65 verses of the NIV NT.  “Kingdom of heaven” appears 32 times in 31 verses.  (Blue Letter Bible)

§  attached  Scripture verses (Blue Letter Bible)

§  (topical bible)

§  Kingdom of God - “basileia theos” in Greek (Blue Letter Bible)

1.      Royal power, kingship, dominion, rule

a.       Not to be confused with an actual kingdom but rather the right or authority to rule over a kingdom

b.      Of the royal power of Jesus as the triumphant Messiah

c.       Of the royal power and dignity conferred on Christians in the Messiah’s kingdom

2.      A kingdom, the territory subject to the rule of a king

3.      Used in the NT to refer to the reign of the Messiah

§  (Holman Bible Dictionary) “God's kingly rule or sovereignty. The Old Testament contains no references to the kingdom of God. However, in the Old Testament God is spoken of as ruling (for example, Psalm 47:2Psalm 103:19Daniel 4:17, 4:25-37). The Old Testament emphasis on God's sovereign power over all kings and kingdoms sets the stage for the New Testament teaching. Jesus made the kingdom of God central in His preaching. More than a hundred references to the kingdom appear in the Gospels, many in Jesus' parables.

Jesus spoke Aramaic; the Gospel writers translated Jesus' sermons and parables into Greek. Mark, Luke, and John translated Jesus' words as “kingdom of God.” Matthew sometimes used this phrase too, but often he preferred to translate Jesus' Aramaic words as “kingdom of heaven.” The two phrases mean exactly the same thing, because they are translations of the same Aramaic words of Jesus.”

“This is best understood if it is distinguished from what Jesus did not mean. He was not speaking of a geographical area such as the Holy Land or the Temple. He was not speaking of a political entity such as the nation of Israel or the Sanhedrin. He was not speaking of a group of people such as His disciples or the church.”

Jesus taught that the kingdom of God looks unimpressive, but it is going to grow into something tremendous. The kingdom is like a tiny mustard seed which grows into a bush large enough to provide shelter for God's creatures (Mark 4:30-32).”

“Jesus never said that people are to build the kingdom of God. On the contrary, the establishment of the kingdom is a work of God. God will reign, and people can contribute nothing to that reigning of God.”

o   Step 4: The “Kingdom of God” or “Kingdom of heaven” is not a place and it is not a people group.  It is God’s authority, power, dominion, rule.  The terms koG and koh are interchangeable, coming from the same Aramaic words.  God builds the koG and it will grow into something tremendous (mustard seed to tree).  Matthew was writing to a Jewish audience, and the Jews still don't write out the word "God".  When I've seen it written, it was penned like this "G-d".  This may explain why Matthew uses the term "kingdom of heaven".

o   Step 5: I am my 7-month old Australian Cattle Dog mix puppy!  I walk her (and her two “big brothers”, both Chihuahuas) every morning.  She pulls.  She darts.  She relaxes.  She pulls again.  She chokes herself.  She relaxes.  I behave the same way.  I try to pull God into my plans.  I dart toward “shiny” things.  I relax into a momentary bliss with Him.  Then pull again toward where I want to go.  I choke myself with worldly things.  Then another relaxing moment.  I resist God’s authority.  I celebrate the wonders of His love.  I get impatient with His timing.  I realize the perfection of that timing.  I walk with Him in victory.  I trip and fall into a pit and experience the agony of defeat.  I confess and repent.  Drag my dark places into His Light.  Wash.  Rinse.  Repeat.  I just need to be still.  Rest in Him.  Let Him lead the dance.  Walk at His pace.  Submit to His authority, His kingdom.  He is in charge, not me.  Word for 2022: Stillness.

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen