Skip to main content

Homiletics Matthew 18

written 4 February 2014


Contents (not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture):  Where?                Capernaum                       Who? Jesus, disciples

1
1-3
Disc to J: Who greatest in KoH; J called child, said: Except ye be converted/become as children, ye not enter KoH.
2
4-6
Whosoever humble himself as this child, same is greatest in KoH; whoso receive such child in my name receiveth me; whoso offend one which believe in me, better for him millstone hanged around neck/drowned.
3
7-9
Woe unto world because of offences, offences come but woe to man by whom cometh; if hand/foot offend, cut off, better enter life maimed than be cast into everlasting fire; if eye offend, pluck, better enter life w/1 eye than cast into hell fire.
4
10
Despise not these little ones, in heaven their angels behold face of my Father.
5
11-13
Son of man come to save lost; if man has 100 sheep and 1 gone astray, doth he not leave 99 and seeketh; if he find, he rejoice more than of 99 went not astray.
6
14
Not will of Father one of these perish.
7
15-17
If brother trespass against thee, go tell between thee and him alone, if he hear, thou hast gained brother; if he not hear, take 1 or 2 more witnesses; if he neglect to hear them, tell to church, if he neglect to hear church, let him be as heathen or publican.
8
18-20
Whatsoever ye bind on earth, bound in heaven, whatsoever ye loose on earth be loosed in heaven; if two agree on anything they ask, it shall be done for them of my Father; where 2 or 3 gathered in my name, there I am.
9
21-22
P: how oft shall brother sin/I forgive? 7x? J: 77x.
10
23-25
Koh likened to king which take acct of servants; one brought owed 10000 talents; he had not to pay, lord demanded he sold and wife/children/all he had and payment made.
11
26-27
Servant fell down/worshiped: patience and I will pay; Lord moved w/compassion, loosed him/forgave debt.
12
28-30
Same servant found fellow servant, owed 100 pence, took by throat: pay me; fellow servant fell: patience and I will pay; he would not, cast him into prison.
13
31-33
Fellow servants saw, told lord: thou wicked servant, I forgave; shouldst not thou have compassion as I pity thee?
14
34-35
Lord delivered him to tormenters till he should pay; so my Father do unto you if your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

 


Divisions (run-on sentence OK, direct verbiage from Scripture):

1
1-14
Disc: Who greatest in KoH; J: Except ye become as children, ye not enter KoH; Whosoever humble as child, same is greatest; whoso receive such child in my name receiveth me; whoso offend one which believe in me, better millstone hanged around neck/drowned; offences come but woe to man by whom cometh; if hand/foot offend, cut off, better enter life maimed than be cast into everlasting fire; if eye offend, pluck, better enter life w/1 eye than cast into hell fire; Despise not these little ones, in heaven their angels behold face of my Father; Son of man come to save lost; if man has 100 sheep, 1 gone astray, doth he not leave 99 and seeketh; if he find, he rejoice more than of 99 went not astray; Not will of Father one of these perish.
Principle:
You must become as humble children to enter the kingdom of heaven.
We must be careful not to cause those who belong to Jesus to sin.
Whatever causes you to sin, get rid of it!  Entering heaven is more important than hanging onto what’s causing you to die spiritually!
Jesus came to save the lost and He rejoices every time He brings one sheep home because it’s God’s will that He should lose none of these (that God has chosen).
2
15-35
If brother trespass against thee, tell between thee and him alone, if he hear, thou hast gained brother; if he not hear, take 1 or 2 witnesses; if he neglect to hear them, tell church, if he neglect to hear church, let him be as heathen or publican; Whatsoever ye bind on earth, bound in heaven, whatsoever ye loose on earth, loosed in heaven; if two agree on anything they ask, it be done for them of my Father; where 2 or 3 gathered in my name, there I am; P: how oft shall brother sin/I forgive? 7x? J: 77x; Koh likened to king which take acct of servants; one owed 10000 talents; lord demanded he sold and wife/children/all he had and payment made; Servant fell down/worshiped: patience and I will pay; Lord moved, loosed him/forgave debt; Same servant found fellow servant, owed 100 pence, took by throat: pay me; fellow servant fell: patience and I will pay; he cast him into prison; Fellow servants saw, told lord: thou wicked servant, I forgave; shouldst not thou have compassion as I pity thee?  Lord delivered him to tormenters till he pay; so my Father do unto you if your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.
Principle:
Reconciliation with a brother is desirable, but if he doesn’t listen to you or to 1 or two witnesses or to the church as you escalate the issue, he’s not a brother so let him be as a heathen to you.
Forgiveness is the mark of believers in Christ.
If we don’t forgive, we will not be forgiven.

 

Subject Sentence (10-word sentence with proper structure):

Jesus teaches about entering the kingdom, confronting sin and forgiveness.

 

Aim (Christian and Non-Christian):

TCMAT seek to be humble and examine their lives for triggers that cause them to sin or lead others into sin so they may take these attitudes and behaviors to the Lord for disposal so they might enter His kingdom; seek to be people who seek unity in the body of Christ through reconciliation and the practice of forgiveness, being an example to other Christians and the world around them.

 

Application:

1
What attitudes and behaviors might you have to leave behind to become like a child so you may inherit the kingdom of heaven?
What will you do to ensure that you do not cause one of these little ones to sin?
How might you cut off a hand or foot or pluck out an eye to keep yourself from sinning?
When have you rejoiced over finding one thing that was lost?
2
In what way have you practiced the Biblical method of reconciliation outlined in Matthew 18 and what were the results?
When has someone approached you about your sin and how far did the confrontation have to go (witnesses, church)?
When has this Biblical method of reconciliation revealed that the one you thought was a brother actually wasn’t and how did you react to this revelation?
In what way have you sought mercy that you didn’t show to someone else?
How would you counsel a brother you observed being unforgiving?
Under what circumstances have you extended forgiveness because Christ has forgiven you?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen