Skip to main content

Gather Around the Amish Table by Lucy Leid

Gather Around the Amish Table 
by Lucy Leid 
Cookbook
MennoMedia

Straight from Amish kitchens to yours, this cookbook offers favorite family recipes and charming stories from Amish and Mennonite cooks. Bake the pecan rolls that taste best after an ice-skating party, or try the hoagies that a community sold to help an Amish family with hospital bills. Discover the cocoa cupcakes with instructions to "stir by hand" that one young cook took literally, or whip up the whoopie pies that one Amish woman took to market in her horse and buggy.

These cherished recipes speak of comforting traditions, lively communities, and strong Christian faith. Gather your family around the table to sample the nourishing fare and trademark charm of the plain people. In the words of one cookbook contributor: "Bake someone happy!"
Advance Praise
"As I paged through the recipes and pored over the photos in Gather around the Amish Table, I found myself thinking again and again, I've just got to try this! There are so many recipes in here just waiting to become new family favorites-I can't wait to get cooking!" -Georgia Varozza, author, Homestyle Amish Kitchen Cookbook
"Gather around the Amish Table is a collection of hearty and delicious homestyle recipes that include heartwarming anecdotes and beautiful photos. Reading through the treasure of recipes allows a glimpse into the home life of a community that gathers around the table for fellowship, with thankfulness for the bounty that God has provided them." -Lovella Schellenberg, coauthor, Mennonite Girls Can Cook
"This is a great cookbook with many easy-to-make recipes! The ingredients are simple and usually in any kitchen. The little stories make it even more interesting and wonderful. A lovely book!" -Lovina Eicher, author, Lovina's Amish Kitchen weekly column.
 Meet the Author
Lucy Leid is an Old Order Mennonite wife, mother, and cook in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.


Here's my review of this charming cookbook:

First, I would like to extend a heartfelt “Thank you” to Lucy Leid and her publisher for sending me a copy of "Gather Around the Amish Table" to review for them. I am truly grateful for this generosity. I really appreciate the time, effort and expense it takes to make a reviewer copy available to me.

Gather Round the Amish Table by Lucy Leid is a unique cookbook containing interesting recipes and sweet stories from the author.  Many of the recipes combine ingredients that I would never have dreamed of putting together.  Using this book, I made some of the best soft pretzels I’ve ever had.  And using that same recipe, I also made some killer garlic knots!  This cookbook is loaded with delicious soup recipes and some recipes that I’m wary of trying because of what I believe to be odd ingredient combinations.  There are lots of breads and desserts and casseroles.

Honestly, my idea of Amish cooking has changed considerably as a result of reading through this book.  I figured their cuisine would be as plain as their costume.  But that is not the case.  This book was quite a surprise.  I look forward to tasting many of these intriguing dishes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen