Skip to main content

Armor of God – Week Three – The Breastplate of Righteousness

This is what I learned from Video #3:

·         The Breastplate of Righteousness is our uniform and it equals right living that aligns with God’s expectations

·         The Belt of Truth carries the weight of our pursuit of righteousness

·         Sanctification is the Holy Spirit’s job.  I cooperate by renewing my mind in the Word and obeying

·         The Holy Spirit sculpts me by chipping away anything that doesn’t look like Jesus

·         My heart is the centerpiece of my soul

·         My conscience is the microphone used by the Holy Spirit to enable me to hear God’s voice

·         Unrighteousness is an environment where demonic influence feels welcome

·         People should wonder what planet I come from – my behavior should be alien in this world

·         The devil will bait me at my weakest moments

·         Perfectionism is a crippling shackle the enemy puts on me – the Perfect One has already come

·         I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus

·         The Holy Spirit enables me to live beyond myself.  He changes me from the inside out

This week’s book work taught me:

·         Right living guards me from the enemy’s attacks because obedience = resisting the devil, which means he will flee from me (James 4:7)

·         I don’t need to invite unrighteousness into my life.  I only need to create the environment where it feels welcome

·         If I know the good I ought to do and don’t do it, I sin (James 4:17)

·         If I don’t choose to align my life with God’s truth, I leave my heart as an exposed target for enemy attacks

·         "If my people would only listen to me, if Israel would only follow my ways, how quickly I would subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes! (Psalm 81:13-14)

·         Trying to be perfect is exhausting and discouraging

·         Comparing myself to others is deceiving because I still can’t compare to God

·         I am righteous and clean before God

·         The old things passed away, behold, the new things have come (2 Corinthians 5:17)

·         I don’t need to gain God’s approval – I already have it

·         God’s people need to put off falsehood, sinning in anger, stealing, unwholesome talk, bitterness, rage, anger, brawling, slander, sexual immorality, impurity, greed, obscenity, foolish talk, coarse joking (Ephesians 4:25-55)

·         God’s people need to put on humility, gentleness, patience, love, unity, peace, truthful speech, kindness, compassion, forgiveness (Ephesians 4)

·         Righteousness is in me, not it needs to be on me

·         True righteousness must be released, not manufactured

·         If I concentrate on having a vibrant spiritual life, I’ll automatically grow and change as a result

·         I’m called to be a doer of the Word (James 1:21-22)

·         I must allow the Word to influence everything in my life

·         I need to meditate on the Word, internalize its principles and implement them

·         God will never convict unless He intends to empower

Here’s the prayer strategy I’ve crafted based on what I learned this week:

My Generous, Selfless Lord Who approves of me and will never convict me unless You plan to empower, I repent of wrongdoing and inviting enemy attack, of not doing the good I know I should (Jas 4:17), of perfectionism and comparing myself to others and of not having a vibrant spiritual life.  I ask You to help me live right and resist the devil so he flees (Jas 4:7), align my heart with Your truth, that Your Word would influence my whole life.  Thank You for providing my righteousness and making me clean before You.  I am a new creation – the old is gone (2 Cor 5:17).  Your righteousness is in me, now it needs to be on me.  Help me to follow Your ways and quickly subdue my enemies (Ps 81:13-14).  Lead me to meditate on Your Word, internalize its principles and implement them.  Make me a doer of Your Word (Jas 1:22-24) who honors You with her life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen