Skip to main content

A Summer of Psalms - Psalm 137

Have you ever wished harm on someone?  Have you ever wanted to see someone “get their come-uppance”?  Have you noticed that you desire mercy for yourself and justice for your “enemies”?

 

Today, we’re looking at Psalm 137.  These 9 verses are about Torment and Vengeance.  In this psalm, we see Israel wept, and was happy over Babylon’s doom.

 

When we walk away from our time together today, I want you to know Vengeance belongs to the Lord, regardless of our torment.

 

Father-God, we pray in Jesus’ name that You will speak to us through this psalm today.  Help us to see that You are always worthy of praise.  But that You also have very big shoulders and can handle our complaints. Amen.

 

Our text is divided into two parts, today:

1.By the rivers of Babylon, we sat and wept (Psalm 137:1-6)

2.Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction (Psalm 137:7-9)

 

Let’s get right into this teaching.

 

Read Psalm 137:1-6.

 

As Psalm 137 opens, Israel is reminiscing over the “good ole days”.  She is remembering Zion while sitting by the rivers of Babylon.  Do you recall why Israel was sitting by the rivers of Babylon?  Judah was captured by the Babylonians as taken there.  Why?  Because she turned her back on the Lord and engaged in idolatry.  The good ole days.  Not so much.  Are you clinging to some “good ole days” that really weren’t all that good?

 

She hung up her instruments and didn’t want to sing.  It is a challenge to praise the Lord when you are hurting.  But that is a wonderful time to praise the Lord.  It will lift you out of your prison of sorrow.  I remember reading an account of Corrie ten Boom’s time as a captive of the Nazis at Ravensbruck concentration camp.  A Bible had been smuggled into the camp, and Corrie’s sister Betsie read in the Bible that in all things, they were to give thanks to God, and that God can use all things for good.  So Bessie praised God for the fleas and the lice that infested their overcrowded barracks. Corrie had a difficult time giving thanks at first, but at Bessie’s insistence, she eventually did thank God for the fleas.  Because of the fleas, the guards wouldn’t enter the barracks, so the women were protected and they were able to have Bible studies.

 

What not so “good ole days” would you rather forget, but if you really think about it, you’d have to admit that Jesus was right there, working in you, and doing miraculous things?

 

But what about when your tormentors demand performance from you?  I was going to say that I’ve never experienced being taken captive, and then hearing my captors demand that I sing joyful songs.  But I kind of feel like I’m there right now.

 

In June, our music minister left us and moved across the country to be the worship pastor at another church.  I still feel the soreness from being blindsided by the announcement.  I’m still trying to catch my breath from his leaving the week before our patriotic musical.  I still feel the squeezing in my chest wondering what will happen to our choir program and the trip we have planned for next summer to Scandinavia!  I couldn’t sing because I couldn’t control my breath.  I thought I was done.  Then, our first Sunday without him, the people in our church came together so beautifully to make it the best worship time we’ve had in a long time!  I could breathe.  And I could sing.  Joyful songs.

 

The tightness in my chest and inability to breathe comes and goes.  But I know God is doing a miraculous thing.  He is working where I cannot see Him.  He is growing my faith in the midst of this pain.  I look forward to seeing His plan unfold.  Reminds me of that song “While I’m Waiting” by John Waller.  Check it out.

 

We can sing songs of joy while we’re waiting.  We can serve God.  We can praise Jesus and worship Him.  This is our choice.  Our sacrifice of praise.  I don’t want to wallow in self-pity!  I don’t want to be over-dramatic and attention-seeking!  This earth is not my home.  I am in a form of captivity.  I can absolutely choose to praise God while I’m here and not feel sorry for myself.  How about you?

 

This leads us to our first two principles:

 

We can learn from the sorrow of the past.

Jesus is deserving of our praise, even in the midst of our pain.

 

How might you adopt and pursue Jesus’ attitude toward your persecutors: “Forgive them, Father, they don’t know what they’re doing”?  Where are you indulging in self-pity that you could turn around with a sacrifice of praise?  What tiny thing will you choose to praise Jesus for right now?

 

Now let’s look at the last few verses.

 

Read Psalm 137:7-9.

 

When we allow ourselves to marinate in negativity, we get bitter, not better.  This is what happened to Judah in this psalm.  They dwelled on what the Edomites did to them.  It is difficult to forgive those who hurt you.  Jesus said to forgive your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.  And isn’t that exactly what He did on the cross?  He forgave the people who nailed Him to the cross while He was hanging from it!  Oh, Lord, if I could be like you in this area…

 

Judah was relishing the coming destruction of Babylon.  They looked forward to absolute annihilation.  They spoke of happiness at seizing their infants and dashing them against rocks!  Happiness!  At murdering infants!  Oh, how low the human heart can sink!  The oppressed become just like their oppressors.  Let it not be.

 

In my workplace, there are a couple of supervisors who should not be supervisors.  Because of their lack of confidence and good mentors to guide them, they are dangerous.  They wield authority without considering consequences.  They bully employees.  They make demands just so people will do what they say.  They are bosses, not leaders.  And I have disrespected them for years.  My heart has grown crusty with the frustration.  But I must praise Jesus that He is allowing this situation to exist for a reason.  He is trying to teach me something.  He is showing me that, in spite of circumstances, He is in control.  I work for Him, but He put me under this supervisor for a reason.  Open my eyes, Lord, to see what You want me to see.  To learn what You want me to learn.  Open my heart to forgiveness.  Does anyone else out there know what I’m talking about?

 

Don’t let the bad situation make you bitter.  Choose to praise, and let Jesus make you better.  And let Him deal with the evil-doers.

 

And here are two final principles:

 

Pursue mercy, not vengeance, in spite of the situation.

Leave vengeance to the Lord.

 

What needs to change in your thinking for you to pursue the salvation and sanctification of your “enemies”?

 

Let me ask those questions we started off with again.  Have you ever wished harm on someone?  Have you ever wanted to see someone “get their come-uppance”?  Have you noticed that you desire mercy for yourself and justice for your “enemies”?  Now let’s take it a step further.  Have you ever seen someone receive the harm you wished on them?  Have you witnessed someone receiving their come-uppance?  How did it make you feel?  Do you still want mercy for yourself?  What needs to change in your heart for you to desire mercy for your enemy, too?  What steps can you take right now toward choosing to praise Jesus?

 

Thank You Father, for preserving these words in Scripture.  Thank You for being a big, big God Who is always listening.  Thank You for Your example of mercy.  Lead us to share Your grace with others passionately, remembering that justice is coming sooner than we realize.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen