Skip to main content

Matthew 26:1-46 Devotional Content

This week, we are studying Matthew 26:1-46, where Jesus is anointed, eats the Passover, and prays at Gethsemane.  Throughout this passage, we are looking at the concept of Fellowship.  We will see fellowship on display in a beautiful act of Service when Jesus is anointed at the house of Simon the Leper.  We will see fellowship in action at the last Passover Jesus eats with His disciples.  We will also observe Jesus in fellowship with the Father in Prayer at Gethsemane.

 

When you walk away from our time together, today, I want you to know God strengthens His people to walk obediently in His will through fellowship with Him.

 

Heavenly Father, would you open our hearts and minds to truth today?  Plant seeds of Scripture in our hearts and water them so they grow and transform us into Christ’s likeness.  May our connection to You be visible to others so they will ask us the reason for our hope and we can point them straight to Jesus.  It’s in His mighty name we ask this.  Amen.

 

Fellowship is defined as a friendly association, especially with people who share an interest.  What do you think of when you hear the word?  A gathering of friends?  A Bible study group?  A Lord of the Rings movie?  Or maybe the JRR Tolkien book?  In our reading today, Jesus will be anointed during fellowship at a dinner party at the house of Simon the Leper in Bethany.  Then He will fellowship with the disciples at His final Passover Seder with them.  Finally, He will fellowship with the Father in prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane.

 

We have three Divisions:

1.Jesus speaks of crucifixion, is anointed and Judas looks for an opportunity to betray Him (Mt 26:1-16)

2.Jesus eats the Passover with His disciples (Mt 26:17-30)

3.Jesus tells the disciples they will all fall away, goes to Gethsemane and prays three times, then rises to meet His betrayer (Mt 26:31-46)

 

Read Matthew 26:1-16.

 

Have you ever given a gift that someone else scoffed at?  I remember one Christmas many years ago, I gave a gift to my Grandfather.  It was a lamp where the stand was a man and a child in a boat, fishing.  It was a memory for me.  A treasured moment from my childhood that I wanted to thank my Granddaddy for.  I wanted him to know that I remembered those times from when I was little, now that I was grown and had kids of my own.  When my Grandfather opened the gift, another member of my family gave me the most awful look, pursed his lips, rolled his eyes and shook his head.  In that moment, my little girl heart was crushed.  In fact, I’m tearing up as I type this.  Oh, Father, help me forgive him.  Take away the hurt and bitterness in Jesus’ name.

 

In our passage, Jesus is at the dinner table fellowshipping with His host, disciples and other guests.  A woman comes in, breaks open a jar of expensive perfume and pours it all over Jesus.  Scripture says the disciples were indignant, and they started complaining about how the perfume was wasted.  I wonder if, like me at that family Christmas celebration, Mary felt crushed.  Yes, this was Mary of Bethany.  Sister of Martha and Lazarus of Bethany.  John 12:1-8 fills in this little detail.  This expensive perfume, according to tradition, may have been her dowry.  And she just poured it all over Jesus.  What a lavish gift of love!  Something so important to her, possibly representing her future security, and she prioritized Jesus over the perfume!  And then came the comments from the onlookers.  Did Mary take what they said personally?  Did she feel foolish?  Did she second-guess her lavish gift?  Whatever she did, it wasn’t long before Jesus came to her defense and validated her act in front of everyone: “She has done a beautiful thing to me.”  What sweet words to Mary’s ears.  Jesus indicates that this perfume had a purpose and Mary used it for that intended purpose: for Jesus’ burial!  Ooh!

 

The story doesn’t stop with Mary.  Judas was upset by what took place.  This was the catalyst that set him in motion to betray Jesus!  This passage in Matthew says the disciples were indignant and objected to the “waste,” and that Judas went to the chief priests and asked them what they would give him to deliver Jesus over to them.  They counted out 30 pieces of silver, the price of a male or female slave according to Exodus 21:32.  This was prophesied in Zechariah 11:12-13.  The John passage we looked at earlier (12:1-8) attributes the objection to Mary’s pouring of perfume specifically to Judas and adds another little detail: that he used to help himself to what was put into the money bag.  So he wanted the perfume to be sold so the money would end up in the bag so he could steal it.

 

This event makes me contemplate my own life.  What am I holding back for my future that I should be pouring out to Jesus RIGHT NOW?  How have I let the reactions of others inhibit my lavish giving?  What about you?

 

Principle 1:  Jesus deserves our most valuable gifts and precious acts of service.

 

Application 1. For what acts of serving Jesus will you be remembered? What is loving Jesus costing you? Where are you holding back from loving Jesus lavishly? What treasure do you have to give to the Lord?

 

Now, let’s head to another dinner party.  The final Passover Jesus will eat with the disciples.

 

Read Matthew 26:17-30.

 

The disciples have taken direction from Jesus and prepared the Passover to celebrate with Him.  Do you recall the significance of the Passover celebration?  Take a few minutes to read Exodus 12:1-16.  This is a very dramatic and significant moment in Jewish history, and it is about to be fulfilled as only the Messiah can do.

 

The Israelites had been in bondage in Egypt after the death of Joseph.  The time had come for God’s chosen people to be set free and settle in the land He promised to Abraham.  God raised up Moses to deliver Israel out of slavery.  Using Moses’ brother, Aaron, as the speaker, God delivered nine plagues over Egypt to reveal His power and ask Pharaoh to release the Israelites.  After each plague, Pharaoh refused.  Now is time for the tenth plague: the death of the firstborn.  The angel of death would travel through Egypt on this night, taking the life of every firstborn in the land – human and animal.  Those who obediently selected a year-old male lamb (or goat) without blemish, slaughtered it, roasted it, painted its blood on the top and sides of the doorframe of the house, and ate it in haste, ready to leave the country, would be “passed over” by the angel of death.

 

This is the meal that Jesus is eating with the disciples, commemorating Israel’s release from slavery in Egypt.  Jesus is about to fulfill it as the Lamb of God Who rescues the whole world from slavery to sin and death.  He is the firstborn male without blemish Who is to be sacrificed once for all, His blood covering the sins of every person who accepts Him as their Savior!  Whew!  Have you accepted Him as your Savior?  If not, and you’d like to, stop right now and pray:

 

Jesus, I acknowledge right now that I am a sinner in need of a Savior.  You are that Savior.  You paid the price for my sin and completely conquered death with Your sacrificial death and resurrection.  I accept Your free gift of salvation by acknowledging that You died for me.  Thank You.  Help me live a life that honors You.  Amen.

 

If you just prayed that prayer, tell a Christian friend who can point you to a Bible-preaching church where you can receive Biblical teaching on how to live.  I pray right now that God will give you discernment on what church to attend and an aptitude for Bible study and a hunger for prayer so you will grow in Christlikeness.

 

Back to our passage.  During the meal commemorating the Passover, Jesus tells the disciples that one of them would betray Him.  This statement made them sad and had each of them seeking confirmation from Jesus that it wasn’t them.  Matthew records Jesus as saying, “The one who has dipped his hand in the bowl with me will betray me.”  Wouldn’t several of the disciples have dipped their hands in the bowl with Him at this meal?  Jesus continues by saying, “The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him.”  Jesus’s death was prophesied.  Jesus is saying it will happen just as it was written.  He also says, “But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man!  It would be better for him if he had not been born.”  Whoa!  Woe!

 

Matthew records Judas Iscariot responding to this sobering statement, “Surely you don’t mean me, Rabbi?”  To which Jesus answers, “You have said so.”  If you don’t know the end of the story, Judas is the betrayer of Jesus.  He is the one who approached the chief priests about handing Jesus over to them!  He’s already collected the 30 pieces of silver!  Woe!

 

During this meal is the perfect time for Jesus to institute the practice of communion.  This is a remembrance for born again believers to acknowledge Christ’s death and resurrection.  It’s a perfect way to link the New Testament fulfillment to the Old Testament Passover!  It’s a reminder not only of what Jesus did almost 2000 years ago, but also that one day, He will raise each of His born again believers imperishable.  Hallelujah!  What a fellowship!

 

At the end of the meal, they sang a hymn and went to the Mount of Olives.  During the Passover celebration, the attendees would have sung Psalms 113-118.  Take a few minutes to read through them and really digest the symbolism of singing them during this meal.  How do these verses bring you to a new level of worship?

 

Principle 2:  Jesus desires fellowship with His people.

 

Application 2.What preparations do you make to fellowship with Jesus? How have you betrayed the Lord? What would you sing in remembrance of Christ’s gift of His body and blood?

 

Let’s continue on.

 

Read Matthew 26:31-46.

 

In this group of verses, Jesus explains that all the disciples will fall away and that after He rises, He will go ahead of them to Galilee.  I don’t know about you, but I latched onto something totally different than what Matthew recorded.  If I were in attendance and heard Jesus make this statement, I may have done exactly what Peter did, thinking the statement about falling away was aimed at me.  But sitting in a relaxed place with a cup of coffee affords me the luxury of being excited by Jesus’ next statement: “But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”  What?  Risen???  You mean like Lazarus?  You mean You?  So, let me put these pieces together, Lord: You’re going to be betrayed.  You’re going to suffer as it is recorded in Scripture.  You’re going to die.  And You’re going to rise after you die.  Like Lazarus.  And then You’re going to Galilee.  The type-A planner pops out in me at this point.  When, Lord?  I will meet You there.  I’ll start breakfast on the beach for everyone.  Oh wait, You said You would go ahead, so I won’t get there first. Right?  Well…

 

Matthew’s account records something else.  Peter grabs hold of the former statement made by Jesus.  I suppose he felt slighted that Jesus would say he would fall away.  So he responded to that statement by saying, “Even if all fall away…I never will.”  Isn’t it just like human beings to tend to think the worst of others and best of ourselves?  Don’t we often seek justice when it doesn’t involve our punishment and mercy when it does?  Well, Jesus tells Peter that before the rooster crows, the disciple will disown Jesus three times!  Whoa!  But not woe!  It’s important that we know we can be forgiven.  Spoiler alert!  Read John 21. 

 

I am so grateful for Peter’s example in Scripture.  I’m grateful to see his humble beginnings in the Gospels and see how he matures and Jesus uses him powerfully in Acts!  And then to read his letters at the end of the New Testament, it’s mind-blowing how God transformed him!!!  Since I am sometimes like Peter (impulsively doing things in my own power and “forgetting” to pray, which, if I did it, would indicate my complete dependence upon God), I am thankful that I have the hope that Jesus will use me after I have messed up.  What about you?

 

Now, we head over to the Garden of Gethsemane.  Jesus asks the disciples to sit while He goes a little further to pray.  He took Peter, John and James with Him and told them that His soul was “overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.”  That’s pretty intense sorrow.  We’ll talk about why in a minute.  He asks these three disciples to stay here and keep watch, and He went a little further.

 

Jesus fell with His face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.  Yet not as I will, but as you will.”  Jesus is sorrowful to the point of death.  He asks for the cup to be taken away, if possible, but resolves to do God’s will.  He returns to the disciples and finds them sleeping, and says to Peter, “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?”  He tells them to watch and pray so they won’t fall into temptation – great advice for us, today, too – and He goes away a second time to pray.  This time, Jesus says, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”  His prayer changed a little.  It’s like He’s responding to the answer to His first prayer.  He comes back to the disciples, finds them sleeping again and leaves them to go pray again.  Then He returns and tells the disciples the hour has come.  It’s time for the Son of Man to be delivered into the hands of sinners.

 

So, what do you think contributed to Jesus’ overwhelming sorrow?  Maybe knowing how He would suffer because He knew the Scriptures?  I believe His real agony was knowing that for the first time ever, He would be separated from the Father for a period of time while He bore the sins of the world.  Ooh!  Even though He knew the suffering would be temporary, the idea of it was agonizing!  I want such deep, rich, lasting fellowship with God that I ache for it when it’s not there.  And, if I’m honest with myself, at the same time I don’t want that.  I don’t want to hurt that bad.  But because of Jesus, I don’t have to suffer like that.  When I accepted Jesus as my Savior, He restored my relationship with God the Father.  I never have to be apart from God.  Yes, actually, I do want to ache when I drift from Him.  I want to enjoy the fellowship Jesus purchased for me with His blood.  Thank you, Jesus!

 

Principle 3:  Jesus prioritizes prayer, modeling this practice for His people.

 

Application 3.How have you fallen away from following Jesus?  How will you protect yourself from falling away? What challenges do you encounter in your prayer life? In what spiritual areas are you “sleepy” and vulnerable to temptation?

 

Let’s pray.

 

Lord Jesus, thank You for enduring separation from the Father to take my sin upon Yourself.  I pray those who don’t know You – or those who do, but have walked away – would experience that agony of His absence and that they would know You are what they’re missing and they would chase hard after You!  Thank You for the example of prayerfulness and grace and mercy You set for us. Help us follow Your example.  In Your merciful, wonderful name.  Amen.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen