Skip to main content

Homiletics Genesis 22-24

 

Content (not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture, fit on one line):

1.later G test A;tk Isaac Moriah sacrifice;next am A set out;3rd day A saw place;svts stay I/boy go(22:1-5)

2.A wood I knife;I:where lamb;A:G provide;A altar wood bound I;knife2slay;angel:A!A!;u fear G(6-12)

3.ram sacrificed;The Lord Will Provide;angel called 2nd time;bec u withheld son;I bless u/desc(13-17)

4.all nations blessed;A2Beersheba stayed;Milkah borne sons Nahor;Uz,Buz,Kemuel(fr Aram)(18-21)

5.Kesed,Hazo,Pildash,Jidlaph,Bethuel;Bethuel fr Rebekah;conc sons:Tebah,Gaham,Tahash,Maakah(22-24)

 

6.Sarah 127yo;died Kiriath Arba(Hebron);A2Hittites:sell burial site;Hittites:bury choicest tombs(23:1-6)

7.A bow b4 Hitt;intercede Ephron son Zohar;sell cave Machpelah;Ephron:no,I give;A bowed;I pay(7-13)

8.E:worth400sheck bury;A weigh price;Ephron’s field deeded;A buried S cave;deeded burial site(14-20)

 

9.A old blessed;servant hand thigh;swear not get wife son Canaanites;go my ctry;no tk son there(24:1-6)

10.L send angel;if wm unwilling cm,u released oath;svt swore;made way Nahor;tk 10 camels kneel(7-11)

11.prayed;dtrs coming;she:drink/I water camels;Reb beaut;svt:pls gv water;drink;I water camels(12-19)

12.drew enough all camels;man watched closely;gold nose ring bracelets;room fr’s hs night(20-23)

13.I dtr Bethuel;plenty straw fodder room;man bowed worshiped L;praise L;wm ran told hshold(24-28)

14.bro Laban hurried out;seen ring bracelets went;cm I prepd hs place4camels;man went(29-32)

15.food eat say,tell us;I A’s svt;L blessd master;master’s son;not wife from Canaanites;go my fam(33-38)

16.what if come back;L send angel success;u released oath if refuse;L grant success(39-43)

17.if wm water;drink I’ll water camels;Rebekah came;I drank camels also;dtr Bethuel;praise L(44-48)

18.if show kindness tell me;Laban&Bethuel:from L;take her;svt bow b4 L;costly gifts bro/mom(49-53)

19.next am,send me;bro/mom:let wm remain 10d;detain me;aske her;I go;sent her;blessd;left(54-61)

20.Isaac;field;saw camels;R saw I;who man?master;svt told Isaac;I married R, comforted(62-67)

 

Divisions (run-on sentence OK, direct verbiage from Scripture/Principles are Aims for each Division):

1.God tests Abraham (Genesis 22)

Principle:  True faith always leads to action.

2.Abraham buries Sarah (Genesis 23)

Principle: 

3.Rebekah becomes Isaac’s Wife (Genesis 24)

Principle: 

 

Subject Sentence (10-word sentence with proper structure showing exactly where you are in Scripture):

Abraham offers Isaac, buries Sarah and finds Isaac’s bride.

 

Aim (“To Cause My Audience To…” Know, See, Desire etc.):

TCMATK God walks with His people through life’s trials, losses and celebrations.

 

Application (not yes or no question.  Meant to bring about heart change):

1.What needs to change in your thinking for you to fear God  appropriately?

2.What must you release and bury to advance on the path on which God has you?

3.How are you cooperating with God’s revealed will for your life or other’s lives (children)?


Did Abraham know human sacrifice was wrong?

Would I do something I thought to be completely outside the character of God just because He said to do it?  Or would I figure I was hearing the voice of the enemy and ignore the command?

“Ella Enchanted” – “I will not be obedient!”

PQT today in Acts 10:1-23 – Peter and Cornelius.  The vision: kill and eat.  Kosher diet was Biblical.  God told Peter to eat “unclean” Gentile foods and built a bridge from the Jews to the Gentiles, not just from Peter to Cornelius!

How much time between chapters 22 and 23?

 

 

 

Pastor Matt Sermon Notes:

Gen 22

Tests are privileges, not punishments.

Tests must go beyond your understanding.

My obedience affects others.

Let’s get extravagant with our worship.

 

Gen 24

Abraham = Father; servant = Holy Spirit; son = Son; bride = us; angel = prophets; 10 camels = the Law (10 cmdmts)(they help us know we’re sinners)

24:55 – remain 10d = remain under law?  If you do, you produce flesh (Ishmael)

We become the bride, the Law is satisfied, the HS gives gifts

 

J. Vernon McGee:

Gen 22

This is a picture of God’s sacrifice of Jesus.

A was willing to do what he was taught was wrong bec G asked him to do it.

22:4 – 3rd day – A rec’d I back (resurrection)

22:6 – Isaac carried the wood, Jesus carried the cross.

22:7 – call for lamb is prophetic.  V. 13 reveals ram was given for this sacrifice.

This is the 7th and last appearance of God to A.

Jas 2:21 and Rom 4:1-3 – both are right

Jesus died on this ridge.  Not necessarily the same spot.

 

Gen 23

Burying Sarah in the cave at Machpelah speaks to his faith that God will, in fact, give him the Promised Land

2nd or 3rd most important mosque to the Islamic faith is built over the tombs of the Patriarchs in Hebron.

 

Gen 24

Major break in 2nd divison of Genesis

First Div 1-11 – four great events

Second and third Div  12-50 – four outstanding individuals

12-23 Abraham, the man of faith

24-26 Isaac, the beloved son

Three great events in man’s life: birth, marriage, death.  He has a choice in one of those (sometimes).

God is interested in who you marry.

Two institutions God gave man: marriage and government.  When these are broken, society falls apart.

The home is the backbone of society.

Rebekah is beautiful, smart and polite.  I see generous and a servant’s heart.

Abraham’s servant points to his master and doesn’t speak about himself.  Just like the Holy Spirit.

Rebekah didn’t hesitate to go with him.  What did the servant say about Isaac that made her so willing to go?

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen