Skip to main content

Playing the Part by Jen Turano

Playing the Part
by Jen Turano   
Historical Romance
Bethany House Publishers 


Lucetta Plum is an actress on the rise in New York City, but must abandon her starring role when a fan's interest turns threatening. Lucetta's widowed friend, Abigail Hart, seizes the opportunity to meddle in Lucetta's life and promptly whisks her away to safety at her eligible grandson's estate.
At first glance, Bram Haverstein appears to be a gentleman of means---albeit an eccentric one---but a mysterious career and a secret fascination with a certain actress mean there's much more to him than society knows.
While Lucetta has no interest in Abigail's matchmaking machinations, she can't ignore the strange things going on in Bram's house and the secrets he hides. As the hijinks and hilarity that Bram, Lucetta, and their friends are swept into take a more dangerous turn, can they accept who they are behind the parts they play in time to save the day?

Praise for Jen Turano:

"One of the funniest voices in the inspirational genre."
---Booklist on Playing the Part
"Extremely fast-paced and humorous, Turano's latest will please old fans and should make some new ones. A fun romance and some great twists on what could have been a tired, recycled 'marriage of convenience' storyline keep this fresh and lively. What a delightful tale!"
---RT Book Reviews on After a Fashion

 

 

 Meet the Author

Jen Turano
, author of seven books, is a graduate of the University of Akron with a degree in clothing and textiles. She is a member of ACFW and lives in a suburb of Denver, Colorado.

Like us on Facebook Visit our blog
 
 
 
Here is my review of this completely enjoyable book:
 
First, I would like to extend a heartfelt “Thank you” to Jen Turano and her publisher for sending me a copy of "Playing the Part" to review for them. I am truly grateful for this generosity. I really appreciate the time, effort and expense it takes to make a reviewer copy available to me.
 "Playing the Part” by Jen Turano took a couple of chapters for me to really engage the characters and the story.  The thing that kept me reading was that I grew up in upstate New York and I’ve been to Tarrytown.  I’ve frequently regretted not visiting Sleepy Hollow while I lived there, and this novel made me regret it even more after our leading lady visited the cemetery there.  But that’s what kept me reading long enough to get to the funny moments and the engaging storyline.  Thank you, Jen Turano.
Lucetta is a beautiful New York theater actress who has some undesirable admirers.  She leaves New York City with her friend and caretaker, Abigail, to escape some unwanted attention.  Abigail’s mission is to take care of Lucetta and keep her safe.  She also has a covert matchmaking plan in mind when she whisks Lucetta away to Ravenwood, her grandson’s upstate estate.  Abigail’s grandson, Bram, has never settled down and taken a wife.  In fact, he is rather enamored with a celebrity whom he never expects to meet.  Imagine his surprise when that very woman lands in his moat!
This is when all the fun begins.  Turano has created a very entertaining story with likeable and witty characters, laugh out loud funny dialogue and situations and a sweet love story peppered with a bit of mystery and a beautiful view of how relationships are built.  I’m really glad I kept reading.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen