Skip to main content

Learn the Bible in 24 Hours – Hour 11 – Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel


First, let me clarify that the Term “The Major Prophets” refers to the size of the book, not its significance.  Isaiah is called “the Messianic Prophet”.  He is quoted more than any other prophet in the New Testament.  And there are lots of equidistant letter sequences hidden behind the text of Isaiah 53, including the names of 40 people who were present at the crucifixion.  Seeps rather apropos for the passage of Scripture dedicated to “the Suffering Servant”.  What’s even more curious is that the name of Judas (who, statistically should appear) is absent.

I’d never heard about the arguments concerning the two Isaiah’s prior to watching this video, but the way this fallacy is refuted by John the apostle is one of those fascinating things that I love about what’s included in this study.

Jeremiah is known as “the Weeping Prophet” largely because of the book of Lamentations, which he wrote as an addendum to the prophetic book that bears his name.  In studying this prophetic book, we are exposed to the blood curse on Jeconiah, and Dr. Missler offers a wonderful explanation of how this paradox is resolved in the virgin birth of Christ.  This is where we also come across a prediction (Jeremiah 50 and 51 and Isaiah 13 and 14) of the destruction of Babylon that has not yet taken place.  Jeremiah 50:9 also alludes to the use of smart weapons.  Check it out!

Ezekiel is a rather colorful figure.  He was a priest/prophet like Jeremiah who was captured and taken to Babylon.  There is some very strange imagery in the book of Ezekiel, but this leads to the linking of images from Ezekiel with Isaiah and Revelation.  There is a lot of teaching about the origin of Satan in these three books.  Ezekiel also brings us the Valley of Dry Bones, a description of the Millennial Temple and the invasion of Israel by Magog.  The Magogians have been identified as the Scythians.  For all of you “Highlander” movie fans, the Kurgan character was a Scythian from the steppes of Russia.

This week’s lesson was packed!  I’ll probably need to watch this one several times before I can really digest all of what Dr. Missler has presented.  In fact, that is probably true for each of the lessons.

Dr. Missler wrapped up this video teaching with a massive amount of information about how we got the Bible.  There are supplemental notes online for printing.  Sadly, I didn’t go looking for the supplemental notes until after viewing this teaching.  I will have to re-watch the video after reviewing that information packet.

Almost halfway done.  Next week is the last lesson of our Old Testament survey.  I am super-excited to listen to the homework for next time:  The Minor Prophets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen