Skip to main content

Learn the Bible in 24 Hours – Hour 10 – Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther


Post-Exile History

Another terrific history lesson awaits the student this week!  This lesson ties together the book of Daniel to Ezra and the rebuilding of the temple, Esther and the paving of the way to the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem by Nehemiah (a study of which I just began with Kelly Minter – I can’t wait to share my thoughts with you on that study!).  The time line works like this:  in 538 B.C., 49,697 Jews return to Jerusalem under Zerubbabel to rebuild the Temple;  in 515 B.C., the Temple is finally rebuilt and the events of Esther take place;  in 458 B.C., Ezra returns with 2,000 more Jews;  in 445 B.C., Nehemiah returns to Jerusalem to rebuild her walls.

So, on 12 October 539 B.C., Cyrus the Great captured Babylon WITHOUT A BATTLE.  He is met by an elderly Daniel, who produces a scroll (Isaiah 44 & 45) and shows Cyrus his own name penned in scripture 150 years before his birth.  This impresses Cyrus and he releases the Jews to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the Temple.  He also returns the Temple articles that Babylon plundered.  A little less than 50,000 Jews responded to the offer in 538 B.C. and returned to Jerusalem under Zerubbabel.  Others had become so integrated into the culture, they had no desire to go back.

Remember the construction of the Temple?  We touched on it in Hour 7:  The Monarchy.  Each part of the Temple construct corresponds with an aspect of human construct.  The Outer Court corresponds to the Body, the Inner Court to the Soul, the Porch to the Willpower, the Holy Place to the Heart and the Holy of Holies to the Spirit.  We also discussed this very briefly in the Introductory Hours when Dr. Missler mentioned the hardware and software architecture of humans.  Think about this idea when you think about rebuilding the temple.  What parts of your own temple need to be rebuilt?

Moving on to Esther, since its events occurred next sequentially, Dr. Missler painted a frightening portrait of King Xerxes I, who would take Esther to be his Queen as this dramatic tale unfolds.  The conflict between Mordecai the Jew (Esther’s cousin) and Haman the Agagite appears to be representative of the struggle between the Spirit and the Flesh.  This book has far-reaching ties in Scripture back to the times of Saul and David.  Esther remains one of my favorite books to study.  And Dr. Missler revealed several surprises in the book that I had not studied before!

Finally, Dr. Missler discusses the book of Nehemiah and the rebuilding of the city of Jerusalem.  A bit more history is revealed as events surrounding Antiochus IV are disclosed, including his slaughter of a sow on the Temple altar and erecting an idol to Zeus in the Holy of Holies.  This led us to several passages in Matthew 24 where Jesus talks about the signs of the end times and the Abomination of Desolation and reveals the book of Daniel as the key to end times prophecy.  The most memorable statement of the lesson was made in these moments while discussing the Abomination of Desolation, which is a desecration of the Temple like what was performed by Antiochus IV.  At the beginning of Matthew 24:15, it says, “So when you see standing in the holy place 'the abomination that causes desolation,' spoken of through the prophet Daniel…”  Dr. Missler presented a good point.  He asked the question: how would they see it?  Only the priest would enter the Holy Place.  And the High Priest only entered the Holy of Holies once a year!  Then he revealed how we would all see:  on CNN!  And Fox News and the internet and probably every broadcast television station!  This will be a political event!  Keep your eyes open.  Wow, my heart is beating like crazy as I type!

I wish Chuck MIssler had been my history teacher growing up!  I would’ve aced that class and I’d have a great foundation for the Bible study I do today.

Alright, we have some homework for next time:  Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen