Skip to main content

Bible Study: Encouragement For The Persecuted - 1 Thessalonians - Chapter 1


Please forgive this rough draft format, as these are my raw study notes on Paul’s first letter to the Thessalonians. I felt a great sense of urgency to publish them rather than waiting until I had the time to pretty them up. Thank you and I pray that God blesses and encourages you through this material. I’m not sure of the condition of the world at the time of this publication. At the time of its writing, early 2009, things are looking pretty bleak with the economy and unemployment among other things. Are these the first stages of birth pains? The last? God only knows. Stay strong. Encourage each other. Pray. Jesus is coming…

Stacey


Take a few minutes to pray and savor 1 Thessalonians Chapter 1. Then return here and ponder the thoughts, answer the questions, and be sure to leave comments about your own revelations…



This first letter to the Thessalonians was written by the apostle Paul during his 2nd missionary journey, 49-51 AD. The Thessalonians were a group made up of mostly gentile converts who were persecuted by the local synagogue because they were losing members to the new faith.

1 – See Acts 7:1-9 for an illustration of the trouble encountered in Thessalonica.

1:1 – Paul, Silvanus (Silas) and Timothy were traveling and ministering together. In Acts 15:22, it is explained that Silas was chosen by the Jerusalem council to join Paul and Barnabas in ministry. Timothy joined them in Acts 16:1 in Derbe. With whom do you minister? Why?

1:2 – Why do you think Paul was thankful for the Thessalonians? According to Ephesians 5:20, we are supposed to thank God for all things. Paul certainly lived by this. For whom do you pray and constantly thank God for their part in your life? Do they know how well you esteem them?

1:3 – Paul noticed the good things the Thessalonians did. Not rituals or practices that were debated at this time like circumcision (see Galatians 5:6). Instead, he noticed their faith, their love, their hope in Christ. These characteristics lead to good works (see James 2:14-26). Do you tend to notice the good that others do, or the bad? How can you make a point of encouraging someone by reminding them about the good that they do? After you encourage, pay attention. I believe you will notice that person acting in the faith that you have noticed.

I can say for a fact that the encouragement of others has definitely pushed me forward in ministry. I would never be writing this if that first person didn’t encourage me to facilitate my first Bible study discussion group.

1:4 – We were chosen by God before the creation of the world. See Ephesians 1:4, Colossians 3:12, and 2 Thessalonians 2:13.

1:5 – How have you seen the gospel come in power in the Holy Spirit? With whom have you shared this testimony?

The power is the message of salvation, the gospel, according to Romans 1:16. The power of the Spirit gives us hope. See Romans 5:13.

1:6 – What suffering did the Thessalonians face? Re-read Acts 17:1-9. Have you experienced persecution because of your faith? If so, how has it affected your joy? If not, do you know someone who has been persecuted? How is their joy?

1:7 – Macedonia and Achaia were the two Roman provinces of Greece at the time. Paul was actually attacked in Achaia in Acts 18:12. It was significant that the Thessalonians would be an example to these people. To whom are you an example?

1:8 – The Thessalonians’ faith had an affect on people in Macedonia and Achaia. How far reaching is your faith?

Do you think Paul’s compliments encouraged these people who were being persecuted for their faith to continue stepping out and taking risks to share their faith? Would it encourage you?

1:9 – The Thessalonians turned from idolatry to serve God. This testimony was given by others about them. What will those who know you testify about you?

1:10 – See Romans 1:18 for some insight into God’s wrath. Paul is talking about the wait for Jesus’ second coming. Refuting false teaching about this subject becomes the purpose of Paul’s second letter to the Thessalonians.


Each chapter of these letters to the Thessalonians teaches much about how to pray for yourself and others. How have you learned to pray today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen