Skip to main content

The Promise of Morning by Ann Shorey

New historical romance set on the Illinois frontier in 1840s:

When loss breaks her heart, can she find the courage to go on?

The Promise of Morning from Ann Shorey takes readers to Beldon Grove on the Illinois frontier in the 1840s. Life isn’t easy here. For Ellie Craig, the graves of her three infant children make it unbearably lonely, despite the love of her husband Matthew. When she uncovers a family secret that suggests she may not be as alone as she thought, Ellie is determined to find the truth.

Meanwhile, Matthew Craig faces controversy in the church he pastors when a man arrives in town claiming to be both a minister and the son of the town's founder. Will Matthew find the courage to reclaim his church? Or will he return to itinerant preaching, leaving Ellie even more alone than before?

Book 2 in the At Home in Beldon Grove series, The Promise of Morning will touch your soul with themes of overcoming tragedy, finding strength to meet daunting challenges, and trusting your heart to love again.


Here is my review of this emotional read:

First of all, I would like to extend a heartfelt “Thank you” to Ann Shorey and her publisher for sending me a copy of "The Promise of Morning" to review for them. I have always been grateful for this generosity, and I am trying to improve at being consistent in taking the time to thank these wonderfully giving individuals in a public forum. I really appreciate your time, effort and expense in making a reviewer copy available to me.

“The Promise of Morning” by Ann Shorey is the second novel in the “At Home In Beldon Grove” series. This historical work of fiction set in the 1840s frontier begins with a visit to the cemetery for Ellie Craig. Three of her infant children have died and been buried. And she now lives in fear that something will happen to her 10-month-old daughter. Ellie’s husband, Matthew, is supportive of his wife, but is concerned that she is not grieving in a manner conducive to recovering. The fact that he is a preacher adds understanding to his ability to process grief and possibly a depth to his character hinting at an inadequacy to help Ellie process hers. And this is just the beginning of this dramatic tale of controversial happenings, family secrets and forgiveness.

At first, Ellie’s character irritated me. The way she snapped at Matthew when she shouldn’t have was an indication of the deep hurt she felt, but I hadn’t invested enough in her character’s pain to sympathize. So, the initial impression I had of her was less than favorable. But she eventually won me over to a certain extent, and I enjoyed the story very much. I gravitated toward Matthew right away as I tend to root for the underdog, and his introduction in the story made his character deserving of support. This emotional story will not make my list of all-time favorite books for the simple reason of how gut-wrenching it is. Still, it is a well-written novel, and if you enjoy historical fiction that tugs firmly at the heart strings, this is the book for you.



“Available March 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

Comments

Ann Shorey said…
Hi Stacy,
Thank you so much for reviewing The Promise of Morning. I appreciated your thoughtful comments.
Blessings,
Ann

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen