Skip to main content

A Summer of Psalms - Psalm 1

Welcome to Week 1 of the Summer of Psalms.  Today, we are going to look at Psalm 1.  These six (6) verses talk about what we delight in.  We are going to see that The righteous way prospers, the wicked way leads to destruction.

When we walk away from our time together today, I want you to know that Righteousness is the more desirable path.

Our Psalm is divided into two parts:

1.       Blessed are those who delight in God’s law (1-3, 6a)

2.       The wicked will blow away like chaff (4-5, 6b)

Let’s pray and get reading.

Holy Father, open our eyes to see what You want us to know today.  Change how we think.  Change how we pray.  Change our preferences and choices to be a better reflection of Jesus in us.  It’s in His mighty name I ask this.  Amen.

Read Psalm 1:1-3.

So, verse one tells us what the blessed, or “happy” person does not do.  He or she doesn’t walk in the counsel of the wicked.  In other words, he doesn’t listen to or take advice from wicked people.

Next, she doesn’t stand in the way of sinners.  So, she doesn’t plant her feet in wicked ways.  Don’t stand in wickedness.  Run!!!  Wickedness is like quicksand!

Finally, he doesn’t sit in the seat of mockers.  Do not join the club that mocks God!  Get out of there!

Verse two tells us what that blessed person DOES.  Her delight is in the law of the Lord.  She delights in God!  Delight means to please (someone) greatly.  What delights you?  Does it please you greatly to spend time with God in the Scriptures?  That is certainly the goal!

He also meditates on the Scriptures day and night.  He chews on what he reads in Scripture.  He thinks about it all day.  Maybe this means you read smaller chunks of Scripture so you can contemplate them more thoroughly.  Maybe I need to do this too.

Verse three talks about the benefits of NOT doing what is indicated in verse one and DOING what is written in verse two.  This person is like a TREE planted by streams of water.  A TREE!!!  That’s a pretty strong living thing!

Planted by streams of water is access to a water source: the Living Word of God!  You’ll get that water in through your strong roots.

That water will bear seasonal fruit in you!

That water will make healthy leaves that act as a testimony to the health of the tree and the closeness to the water!  Lush, thick, plump leaves!

And the cherry on top: whatever they do prospers!  This person is an obedient servant of God and everyone knows it!  Sounds like Jesus since I am incapable of doing this on my own.  Only Him in me can achieve this!  Hallelujah!

Now let’s look at the opposite:

Read Psalm 1:4-5.

The wicked have no security.  They will blow away like chaff.  They may seem to have things that we want in this life, but their eternity is a mess!  Don’t fall for those trappings.

The wicked will not stand in the judgment.  Every knee will bow.  They will be terrified to see the Judge.  They will confess that Jesus is Lord regardless of what they believed or proclaimed in their lives on earth.

Sinners will not stand with the righteous.  God will separate His sheep from the goats.  He will welcome His sheep into His kingdom.  And He will give the goats exactly what they wanted: eternity without Him!

Read Psalm 1:6.

The Lord watches over the way of the righteous.  He leads.  He guides.  He calls.  He pursues.  None of His people will be lost.  He is God, after all.

The wicked, however, are headed for destruction.  They are given over to their depravity.

This makes me want to honor God.  I want to thank God and glorify Him.  I want my choices to reflect a deep trust in Him.  I want to actively read Scripture with expectation.  I want God to be my delight.  Not the things of this world.  I want to quit asking God to “help me…” and start asking Him to “call me…” or “lead me…”

In a nutshell:  The righteous pursue God.  The unrighteous pursue wickedness.

How will reading this Psalm change the way you pray?

How will reading this Psalm change what you pursue throughout your day?

Precious Lord, teach us to meditate on Your Word.  When our minds wander, draw our focus back to You. Make us righteous representatives in this world, and draw people to us who need the Truth.  Just like the lush green leaves draw us to the healthy tree featured in this Psalm.  Then fill our minds and mouths with that Truth to share it.  Plant us by Your streams of living water.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen