Skip to main content

Homiletics: John 18:28-19:17


Content (not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture, fit on one line):

1.Then Jew ldrs took J frm Caia to Rom Gov, early morn, 2 avoid cer unclean enter palace 2 eat PO (28)

2.Pil askd: What chgs u bring v. man; If he not criminal, they repl, we wouldntve handed him 2u (29-30)

3.Pil: judge him by ur law; we hv no rt2execute, they objd; this fulfill what J say abt death he die (31-32)

4.PIl: RUking o Jews?; ur idea o othrs talk 2u abt me?  Am I Jew, ur ppl hand u ovr, what u done?(33-35)

5.J:my kngdm o this wrld;URking; Usay I king,I born testfy2truth,evry1 on side o truth listen2me (36-37)

6.Whatistruth, out2Jews: I find basis4chg,custom rel 1 prisnr@PO,Uwant KoJews?N,Barabbas (38-40)

 

7.Pil tk J,had floggd;soldats twistd crwn o thorns,put on,clothd him in prpl robe,said:Hail! Slapped(1-3)

8.Pil2Jews:I bringng him out, find chg v. him, J came out wearng crown/robe, Pil:here is man! (4-5)

9.CPs/offs:Crucfy!Pil:u crucfy,I fnd basis 4chg;Ldrs:we hv law he mst die bec he claim 2b Son o G (6-7)

10.Whn Pil hrd, he more afraid; Where u cm frm? J ans;U refuse spk 2me?I hv pwr 2 free/crucify u(8-10)

11.J:u hv pwr ovr me if not gvn2u frm above,1 who handed me over guilty of>sin (11)

12.Frm then, Pil tried set J free,Ldrs:If u let man go,u friend o Caes,any1 claim2b king oppose Caes (12)

13.When Pil hrd this, brought J out, sat on judge’s seat @ stone pavement (Aramaic Gabbatha) (13)

14.It was day of Prep of PO, about noon, here is ur king, Pil sd 2 Jews (14)

15.They shoutd:tk hm away!Crucify hm!Shall I crucfy ur king,Pil askd;we hv king but Caes, CPs ans (15)

16.Fin Pil hand hm ovr 2 them 2b crucified, so soldats took chg of J (16)

17.Carrying own cross, he went out to the place of the Skull (Aramaic Golgotha) (17)

 

Divisions (run-on sentence OK, direct verbiage from Scripture/Principles are Aims for each Division):

1.Pilate offers to release Jesus when he can find no basis to charge him, but the Jews want Barabbas. (18:28-40)

Principle: Jesus should be our priority if we are on the side of truth.

2.Jesus is flogged, mocked with a crown of thorns and a purple robe, and carries his own cross to Golgotha. (19:1-17)

Principle: All power and authority exercised on earth is given from God above.

Obedience to authority on earth is obedience to God.

 

Subject Sentence (10-word sentence with proper structure showing exactly where you are in Scripture):

Pilate releases Barabbas and Jesus carries His cross to Golgotha.

 

Aim (“To Cause My Audience To…” Know, See, etc.):

TCMATK When Jesus is a believer’s first priority, Christ equips that believer to do whatever is necessary to accomplish God’s will.

 

Application (not yes or no question.  Meant to bring about life change):

1.What do you want more than you want Jesus and how might you change your behavior to make Christ your priority?

How are you prioritizing Jesus over other things in your life and how have you experienced His pleasure for doing so?

2.In what way are you allowing your witness for Christ to be negatively influenced by the people around you rather than positively directed by God and how will you silence those voices and take a stand for Jesus?

How are you encouraging believers you know to take a stand for Christ?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen