Skip to main content

A Bride At Last by Melissa Jagears

A Bride at Last 
by Melissa Jagears    
Historical Romance
Bethany House  


Abandoned by his mail-order bride, Silas Jonesey has fought an uphill battle to recover from a pattern of poor choices. Now his prayers for reconciliation have finally come true and his estranged wife has contacted him with her whereabouts.
Kate Dawson was supposed to be a mail-order bride, but upon realizing she'd been deceived about her intended groom, she's now settled into life as a schoolteacher. When the mother of a student passes away, Kate assumes she'll take on care of nine-year-old Anthony---until two men suddenly show up in town, claiming to be the boy's father.
Silas can see Anthony loves Kate, so he enlists her help in reaching out to the boy and attempting to prove his paternity to the court. When a common interest in Anthony leads to an interest in each other and Silas and Kate begin to think they can overcome their rocky start, neither is prepared for the secrets and past hurts that have yet to come to light. Can Silas, Kate, and Anthony's wounded souls bind them together or will all that stands between them leave them lonely forever?

Praise for A Bride at Last
An author who keeps you guessing about how the couple will get together until the very end, Melissa Jagears's writing contains her trademark wit and a fresh spin that turns everyday situations into extraordinary ones.
Naomi Rawlings, author of Falling for the Enemy
 
 

 Meet the Author
Much to her introverted self's delight, Melissa Jagears hardly needs to leave her home to be a homeschool teacher, day-care provider, church financial secretary, and historical romance novelist. She doesn't have to leave her house to be a housekeeper either, but she's doubtful she meets the minimum qualifications to claim to be one in her official bio. Her passion is to help Christian believers mature in their faith and judge rightly.

Find Melissa online: website, Facebook, Pinterest, Goodreads   





Here is my review of this historical romance:

First, I would like to extend a heartfelt “Thank you” to Melissa Jagears and her publisher for sending me a copy of "A Bride At Last" to review for them. I am truly grateful for this generosity. I really appreciate the time, effort and expense it takes to make a reviewer copy available to me.

'A Bride at Last' by Melissa Jagears starts as an emotionally charged work of fiction from the very first page which transports the reader back in time where life seemed very different than it is today.  Kate Dawson adores her student, Anthony, and has been caring for him during his mother’s illness.  Now that Lucy is gone, Kate is expecting Anthony’s father to arrive in town to take the boy and make a home for him.
Silas Jonesey shows up and puts Kate on edge as she confronts the fact that Anthony is going to live somewhere else, but when Richard also shows up and lays claim to the boy, Kate aligns herself with Silas even though Lucy had less than stellar things to say about both men.  Silas and Richard were both summoned by letters from Lucy, so they both believe they are the boy’s father.

This is a touching love story of a man, a woman and a child with lots of humor.  I laughed out loud as the story played out in my mind’s eye.  I was also choked up by the touching sentiments expressed in the building of a family.  But the story dragged in spots and there was more conflict than I usually like in a book I’m reading to be entertained.  Still, “A Bride At Last” contains valuable life lessons about love and forgiveness.  I do recommend it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen