Skip to main content

The 7 Experiment by Jen Hatmaker – Week 5


Media

This week’s group meeting was humbling.  So many experiences were shared about how the lives of these women were touched personally by Jesus.  There was powerful testimony about a very alive, active and personal God.  I am completely inspired to seek God in prayer before I begin this week’s Media fast.  I can’t wait to see what He reveals to me.

I’m not one of those people who is connected 24/7/365.  I can sit quietly in a room and read my Bible or a book.  I don’t need the TV or radio for background noise.  I sometimes use my Wii to play games, but mostly I use it to exercise and watch Netflix.  My most used apps are YouVersion Bible, a Greek vocabulary tutor and Geocaching.  I’m not a big social media person unless I’m posting notes on my Bible app that I want to share.  Texting is how I communicate with my husband since he’s a cab driver and can’t answer his phone all the time.  I’m not a big recreational internet user, either.  I may search for a recipe or check out imdb while we’re watching a movie at home.  Obviously, I blog and publish online book reviews.  I use blueletterbible and google things I want to learn about.  Maybe I’m more internet active than I thought.

I think I push myself to come up with blog content sometimes because I want to get the post written to have it done with.  Sorry.  I really want to let God speak this week, so I’m not going to do that.  I’m stopping now so I can listen for Him.  I will come back later to share my experience.

Lord, please reveal to me how You’d like me to fast this week from media.  I’m listening.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

What a week!  I didn’t engage in a “fast” perse, but I did learn a valuable – and life changing – lesson.  God is truth.  His Word is truth.  Satan is the father of lies.  You can’t trust everything you read, hear or see.  We must be like the Bereans, testing everything against the Word of God – aka Truth!  I’d love to share with you how this concept gelled in my brain.

While doing lots of research to discover the truth about a comment someone made to me that cooking in the microwave destroys nutritional value in food, I learned that you really can’t trust mainstream media.  They’re trying to sell you something and they will exploit your ignorance and insecurities to part you from your money or get your support for their cause.  Agendas are being pushed on us from every angle.  Lies are being told.  We need to be discerning.

Where would you go to discover the truth?  What does your Bible say about the microwave?  I searched my concordance high and low and couldn’t find a thing!  What I did find was Daniel asking not to eat the king’s food, but to have a diet of vegetables.  I read Ezekiel 4:9 which talks about sprouted grains – sorry Paleo Diet.  I read Acts where Peter receives a lesson in what’s okay to eat.

I’ve kind of stopped the research.  I’m leaning away from the article I read that microwaves destroy nutrition because it also stated that the Nazis invented the device to heat meals on the battlefield during WWII (WHAT?!?!?!?!).  I’m leaning more toward the article that says the microwave isn’t responsible for a significant amount of nutrition loss, water and heat have that designation.  I’ve read about how microwaves work (vibrating water molecules in food, causing friction and therefore, heat) and heard corroboration from professional engineers.  I may not get a straight answer about the microwave and nutrition until I get to heaven and I’m pretty positive that when I get there, I won’t even remember the question.

The point is this – step four in the battle plan:  Search the Scriptures daily.  Test everything against the Word of God!  “These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.”  Acts 17:11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen