Skip to main content

Homiletics Romans 1

I just began a study of the book of Romans on my own.  It's a fascinating letter with a fascinating history.  If you've never studied it, I encourage you to do so.  If you don't know how to begin studying God's Word for yourself, I can recommend "Rick Warren's Bible Study Methods".  Those are the techniques I'm using.

Here are my homiletics for chapter 1.

Contents (not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture):  Where?                  Rome                  Who?  Paul, Church in Rome

1
1:1-4
Paul, servant of Christ, apostle, set apart for gospel of God promised through prophets & Scriptures regarding Son, earthly descendant of David, through Spirit appointed Son of G in power by resurr: Jesus Christ our Lord.
2
1:5-7
Thru him we rec’d grace/apostleship to call Gentiles to obedience for his name; you among Gentiles called to JC; to all in Rome loved by G, grace & peace to you from G & JC.
3
1:8-12
1st, I thank G thru JC for all you, your faith reported all over; G my witness how I remember you in prayers, I pray now at last by G’s will way opened me come to you; long to see you the I impart spiritual gift, make you strong, you and I encouraged by each other’s faith.
4
1:13-15
I don’t want you to be unaware I planned many times come to you (prevented until now) the I might have harvest among you like other Gents; I obligated to Greeks & non-Greeks, wise & foolish; that’s why I eager to preach gospel to you in Rome.
5
1:16-17
I not ashamed of gospel, it is power of God brings salvation everyone who believes, 1st Jew, then Gent; in gospel righteousness of G revealed, the righteous live by faith.
6
1:18-20
Wrath of G revealed against all godlessness and wickedness of people who suppress truth by wickedness since what know about G plain to them bec G made it plain; since creation G’s invisible qualities (eternal power, divine nature)clearly seen understood from what made so people w/o excuse.
7
1:21-23
Although they knew G, they neither glorified nor gave thanks, thinking became futile, foolish hearts were darkened; they claimed to be wise, became fools, exchanged glory of G for images like human, birds, animals, reptiles.
8
1:24-25
Therefore, G gave them over sinful desires of hearts to sexual impurity for degrading bodies; exchanged truth og G for lie, worshiped/served created things rather than Creator who is forever praised.
9
1:26-27
Bec of this, G gave them over to shameful lusts, women exchanged natural sex for unnatural; men abandoned natural relations w/women, inflamed w/lust for one another, committed shameful acts, received in selves due penalty for error.
10
1:28-32
They not think it worthwhile retain knowledge of G, G gave them over to depraved mind, so they do what ought not be done; they become filled wickedness, evil, greed, depravity, envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant, boastful, invent ways doing evil, disobey parents; no understanding, fidelity, love, mercy; they know those who do such deserve death, not only continue but approve of practice.


Divisions (run-on sentence OK, direct verbiage from Scripture):

1
1:1-7
Paul’s Greeting
Principle:
First impressions are important for establishing relationships.
2
1:8-17
Paul’s Desire to Bring the Gospel to the Church in Rome
Principle:
Thank the Lord for those to whom and with whom we minister.
Remember those to whom and with whom we minister in your prayers.
Believers should encourage each other with their faith.
3
1:18-32
Paul’s Warning Against Godlessness and Wickedness
Principle:
God has made Himself known to mankind; it is up to us to decide whether to acknowledge Him and live for Him or not.

 

Subject Sentence (10-word sentence with proper structure):

Paul shares the gospel and warnings with the Roman church.

 

Aim (Christian and Non-Christian):

TCMATK God has revealed Himself to all men and those of us who respond to His call are ministers of the gospel who should encourage godly behavior is others.

 

Application:

1
How might you introduce yourself to an audience of believers?
How would you introduce Jesus to someone who didn’t know Him?
2
To whom are you eager to minister?
How have you been made strong and encourage by another’s faith?
In what way have you shared your faith to encourage someone else?
How would you describe the gospel?
3
Which of God’s qualities have you seen through Creation?
What does Paul mean when he writes “so that people are without excuse”?
How do you glorify God and give Him thanks?
How might you pray for or minister to those who have exchanged truth for a lie?
How do you reconcile God’s goodness with Him giving people over to their sinful desires?
In what way would you respond to someone who didn’t think it worthwhile to retain knowledge of God?
What form of wickedness will you eradicate from your life this week?
How might you help or encourage someone to discontinue a life of wickedness?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen