Skip to main content

The Promise by Dan Walsh & Gary Smalley


Here is my review of this encouraging and enjoyable weekend read:

First of all, I would like to extend a heartfelt “Thank you” to Dan Walsh and Gary Smalley and their publisher for sending me a copy of "The Promise" to review for them. I am truly grateful for this generosity. I really appreciate the time, effort and expense it takes to make a reviewer copy available to me.

“The Promise” by Dan Walsh and Gary Smalley is the emotionally-charged second novel in the Restoration series.  This book reads well as a standalone novel, but you will appreciate characters and  parts of the story much more if you’ve read the first book, "The Dance".

Tom Anderson lost his job five months ago, but still hasn’t told his wife.  He leaves for work each day and spends his time a coffee shops with free wi-fi filling out applications.  Jean has noticed Tom’s moods, but she can’t get him to open up to her.  And she doesn’t feel comfortable enough to share things with him that she needs to discuss.  Meanwhile, Tom’s parents, Jim and Marilyn (featured in the previous novel – a good book!) are on their second honeymoon in Italy.

These two authors have beautifully written a book that shows struggle and hope and what can happen if you persevere with the Lord at the center of your relationships.  The dialogue actually helped me to carefully choose words when dealing with sensitive circumstances surrounding my children and husband.  Their characters are so life-like that I feel myself becoming emotionally involved in the tale:  experiencing their frustration and their joy.  Some of the dialogue seems a bit contrived at times, but I’ve come to realize that these speech patterns are more the mark of good communication and expression.  And now I am attempting to mimic those speech patterns.  This book, in conjunction with other current circumstances and studies I am doing, also led me to pray more specifically and Biblically for those around me.  Thank you, Mr. Walsh and Mr. Smalley.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen