Skip to main content

Small Town Girl by Ann H. Gabhart

How long can two people stand on the brink of love without plunging in headfirst? In the autumn of 1941, rumors of war whisper through Rosey Corner. The town practically vibrates with apprehension, as if it is holding its breath. But for Kate Merritt, it seems life is letting out a prolonged sigh.

As Kate watches her sister marry the man Kate has loved since she was fifteen, her heart is silently breaking.

And even the attentions of Jay Tanner, the handsome best man, can't draw her interest. Then suddenly, Pearl Harbor changes everything and Kate finds herself drawn to Jay in surprising ways.

Could she truly be in love with him? And if he enlists, will she ever see him again? In her gentle and textured style, Ann H. Gabhart tells a timeless story of love, sacrifice, and longing that will grip your heart and stir your spirit. Fans of Gabhart's Angel Sister will love seeing Kate Merritt all grown-up, as well as other characters they have come to love.

First of all, I would like to extend a heartfelt “Thank you” to Ann H. Gabhart and her publisher for sending me a copy of "Small Town Girl" to review for them. I am truly grateful for this generosity. I really appreciate the time, effort and expense it takes to make a reviewer copy available to me.

Kate Merritt watches her sister marry the man she’s loved since she was 15 in “Small Town Girl” by Ann H. Gabhart.  But what Kate feels is a tragic circumstance turns into a blessing in disguise.  Best man, Jay Tanner, appears to be a womanizer and is very attentive to Kate.  Whether Jay and Kate can take a chance on love is shadowed by the looming entrance of the United States into WWII, the interference of other people and damage from the past.

“Small Town Girl” looks at the importance of love and family and the fact that family love doesn’t necessarily mean there is a link by blood and birth.  Threads of spirituality and patriotism and forgiveness create a strong backbone on which Ms. Gabhart hangs fleshy characters and a naturally flowing plotline.

This novel is thoroughly enjoyable and surprising.  I must admit that I’ve read several novels lately that have been predictable and frustrating.  I knew the characters were going to do something stupid to create drama and conflict, but I wanted to enjoy the book so badly that I bought it.  “Small Town Girl” wasn’t like that at all.  While reading this beautiful book, I had one of those moments where I just “knew” that one of the characters was going to do something stupid to create conflict in the plot.  Surprisingly, I was wrong.  Hallelujah!  These characters have integrity.  This appears to be the mark of a truly gifted author.  Thank you, Ann Gabhart, for showing me that really good stories with legitimate conflict are out there!  Although the end was a bit abrupt, this was a wonderful book that I am proud to add to my “keeper” shelf.  But I imagine fans of the first book will love this one also since I believe the first book probably ended in a similar fashion.  I can’t wait for book three…  Please let there be a book three!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen