Skip to main content

December Bible Study - Faithful Love in Human Relationships - Ruth Chapter 4

December Bible Study – Ruth Chapter 4
A Study of Faithful Love in Human Relationships

Welcome to this month’s Bible study, our final installment in the book of Ruth. As always, consider my thoughts and please share your ideas, questions and wisdom in the comments section below.

Let us pray…Mighty Father in Heaven, I ask that you would reassure us today about the reward that we have awaiting us when we meet you face-to-face. Help us to live our lives in light of the fact that we are Your children – loved, watched over, and cared for. Encourage us to share this knowledge and the truth of Your salvation with others. We love You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.


Chapter 4 – Reward:

see Leviticus 25:23-28; Deuteronomy 25:5-10.

4:1 – The only rest Boaz had this day was at the gate while he awaited the arrival of Naomi’s nearer kinsman. And I’m sure he was anxious about the meeting. Why the town gate? Because that was where business was conducted.

4:2 – 10 elders were required for this to be a legal, binding proceeding.

4:3 – Elimelech was their relative, not necessarily their brother.

4:4 – Boaz offers his relative the opportunity to acquire Elimelech’s property.

4:5 – Then, he drops the bomb: a Moabite wife is part of the package. So is the obligation to provide an heir for her dead husband.

4:6 – The relative didn’t want to lose any of his property to Naomi’s family since Ruth’s first child would be Mahlon’s heir, not his. (Boaz’ willingness to take this risk speaks volumes about his character.)

4:6-10 – Boaz makes the transaction legal and assumes responsibility for Ruth and Naomi.

4:11-12 –The elders blessed Boaz saying may Ruth bear many offspring like Rachel and Leah.

4:12 – Why mention Perez? To read his birth story, go to Genesis 38. Perez was Boaz’ ancestor. He was also born from a union that was based on this kinsman-redeemer obligation.

4:13 – We briefly focus on Boaz and Ruth, mentioning their marriage and the birth of their first child.

Who was happiest at the wedding? Ruth, Naomi or Boaz? Why?

4:14-17 – Now, the focus changes to Naomi, who has been redeemed by Boaz’ and Ruth’s character and selfless actions. Naomi now has an heir.

4:18-22 – This significant genealogy begins with Perez. Remember him from verse 12? The lineage ends with David, King of Israel.

Doesn’t it seem fitting that the Messiah would come from a lineage of 2 kinsman-redeemers, several men of character, and a king?

What does the outcome of the story tell you about God’s divine guidance?

How have you experienced God’s provision in your life?



Thank you for joining me for this study of the book of Ruth. Please check back often to see what’s new, or sign up for my weekly Word up! Newsletter to be notified automatically. I pray that this study has blessed you. Stay in the Word until we meet again.

BEGINNING NEXT MONTH, I will be posting Bible study every Friday! Yes, weekly WORD up! studies! Woo Hoo! So, join me on January 2nd for chapter one of the book of Revelation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen