Skip to main content

Blameless Life - Psalm 15:5

Oh, my. The things we do for cold, hard cash! We compromise our values and beliefs. We tolerate bad behavior and foul language. We stress ourselves and abuse our bodies and forsake our families. We turn our backs on our dreams thinking that the American Dream’s emphasis on possessions will make us truly happy. WRONG!!!

What have you compromised this week? Will you continue to compromise?

Very INTERESTing

I can think of a couple of times when I loaned money and never got paid back! But, no, I’ve never charged usury – also known as “interest” – on a loan. However, I can think of a few times when my heart was in the wrong place that I wanted to injure someone who hurt me “with interest.”

Look up the scriptures below to learn what God’s Word says about this. (Exodus 22:25, Leviticus 25:35-37, Deut 23:20, Prov 28:8)

As followers of Christ, we should be exceptionally generous. All we have belongs to Him, and His Word teaches that we should care for each other. The scriptures above mention our brothers, countrymen and the poor. I believe that pretty much covers everyone. Are you extending the loving hand of Christ to those in need?

Here Comes The Bribe

Who in the world would have the nerve to betray an innocent man for money? How about Judas. Check out Matthew 26:6-15.

Does it sicken you that Judas - a man who knew Christ, touched Him, ate with Him, heard His voice - betrayed the Son of God for a few silver coins? Why do you think Judas did it?

Does the word “greed” mean anything to you? It just happened to be money that motivated Judas. Young Jack wanted to ditch that cow so bad, he took a few magic beans – who really got the better end of that deal?

I suppose I need to ask what motivates you. Have you ever succumbed to the following “bribes?” Feel free to list your own ideas in the margin.

□ promotion at work. □ recognition or award.
□ gifts. □ new car.
□ parking space. □ free meal.
□ acceptance into an elite group. □ clothes.


Have you come to the realization that, no matter what the bribe is, it is never worth it? Even Judas realized that (see Matthew 27:3-5).

The pleasure you get from receiving a bribe will always be fleeting. As in Judas’ case, it may even be accompanied by even deeper emotional pain. Judas never sought forgiveness for his sin. He allowed it to destroy him completely. I urge you to not allow the same thing to happen to you. Spend a little while with God. Ask Him to forgive you and heal you and give you strength and courage to face your sin in this area.

Shaken? Not Even stirred!

If we live a blameless life and follow the advice given to us in Psalm 15, we won’t be shaken. But, if we ignore this advice, we can make our plans to waiver, slip, slide and fall right now! Since we have a choice, and we know what will happen if we don’t pursue blameless living, it appears that the best course of action would be to avoid the pain and sorrow and heartbreak that would most definitely come with being shaken. I don’t know about you, but I’m not planning to ignore advice given to me by the most famous king of Israel and The King of the Universe.

The puzzle is nearly complete! Don’t you just love when the last piece fits into the picture? Or when the last scene of a movie makes everything clear, somehow?

Do you want to dwell in God’s sanctuary? Do you want to live on His holy hill? If you answered “yes” to either question, read the list of behaviors below. What traits do you need to work on right now?

Don’t take bribes
Do what is right
Speak the truth in love
Don’t slander
Don’t wrong your neighbor
Don’t slur others
Despise what is vile
Honor those who fear God
Keep your promises
Lend without interest



How’s that memorizing coming? Tackle Psalm 15:5 this month…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen