Skip to main content

Homiletics Exodus 3-4


Contents (not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture):  Where?                  Midian, Mt. Horeb, Egypt           Who? Moses, God, Zipporah, Aaron, Israelites

1
3:1-3
Moses kept flock of Jethro, f-i-l/priest, came to mt of God (Horeb); the angel of Lord appeared in flame, bush burned/not consumed; M: I will turn/see great sight, why bush not burnt.
2
3:4-6
When Lord saw he turned, called unto him, M: here I; Draw not nigh hither, put off shoes, holy ground; I God of father/A/I/J, M hid face, afraid to look on God.
3
3:7-8
L: have seen affliction of my people in Egypt/heard their cry/know their sorrows; I come down deliver them unto land flowing w/milk/honey/place of Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites, Jebusites.
4
3:9-10
Cry of Israel come to me, have seen Egyptians oppress; come, I send thee to Pharaoh, bring people out of Egypt.
5
3:11-15
M: who I that should bring Israel?  (G:) I with thee, when thou brought people, ye serve on this mtn; M: I unto Israel say God of fathers sent me, they say what his name, what I say? G: I AM THAT I AM, I AM sent me; say, Lord, God of fathers/A/I/J sent me, this my name forever, my memorial to all generations.
6
3:16-18
Go gather elders Israel, say Lord God of fathers/A/I/J appeared saying I seen which done to you in Egypt; I bring you out of affliction unto land flowing  w/milk/honey; they hearken. Thou and elders come unto king, say Lord God of Hebrews met us, let us go 3 days into wilderness, sacrifice to God.
7
3:19-22
KoE not let you go, I stretch out my hand/smite Egypt w/all my wonders, after he will let you go; I give people favour, ye not go empty; every woman borrow of neighbor silver, gold, raiment, put them on sons, daughters, ye shall spoil Egyptians.
8
4:1-5
M: they not believe or hearken; L: what in hand? M: rod; L: cast to ground, became serpent, M fled; L: take it by tail, it became rod; that they believe God appeared to thee.
9
4:6-8
L: put thy hand into bosom, when took out, leprous as snow; L: put hand into bosom again, turned as his flesh; if they not believe 1st sign, they believe voice of latter sign.
10
4:9-12
If they not believe these signs, thou take water of river, pour, shall become blood on dry land; M: I not eloquent, I slow of speech/tongue; L: who made mouth, who maketh dumb, deaf, seeing, blind, have not I the Lord; go, I be w/mouth, teach what to say.
11
4:13-17
M: Lord, send by hand thou wilt; anger of Lord kindled: Aaron, Levite, brother speak well, he come to meet thee, will be glad, thou put words his mouth, I be w/thy mouth/his, teach what to do; he spokesman, thou be to him instead of God; take rod, thou do signs.
12
4:18-20
M to Jethro: let me go return to brethren in Egypt, J: go; L to M: return Egypt, all men dead which sought thy life; M took wife, sons, returned Egypt, rod of God in hand.
13
4:21-23
L to M: when thou return do wonders before Pharaoh, I harden his heart, he not let go; thou say thus say Lord, Israel my son, firstborn, let son go, he serve me, if thou refuse, I slay thy firstborn.
14
4:23-26
By way in inn, Lord sought to kill him; Zipporah cut off foreskin of son, cast at his feet: bloody husband thou to me; he let him go, she say bloody husband because of circumcision.
15
4:27-31
L to Aaron: go wilderness meet M, he went, met at mtn of God, kissed; M told A words of Lord, signs he commanded; M&A gathered elders of Israel; A spake words L spoke to M, did signs in sight of people; people believed, when they heard Lord visited Israel, looked upon affliction, they bowed heads/worshiped.

 

Divisions (run-on sentence OK, direct verbiage from Scripture):

1
3:1-6
Moses came to Mt. Horeb, the angel of Lord appeared in flame, bush burned/not consumed; Lord called unto him: put off shoes, holy ground; I God of father/A/I/J, M hid face, afraid to look on God.  (Moses encounters the burning bush)
Principle:
The Lord may appear to His people in any form He desires.
Wherever the Lord is, that is holy ground.
Truly encountering God inspires awe and respect in His people.
2
3:7-22
L: have seen affliction/heard cry/know sorrows; I deliver them; I send thee to Pharaoh, bring people out; I with thee; M: they say what name, G: I AM THAT I AM; say, Lord, God of fathers/A/I/J sent me; gather elders, say Lord God  bring you unto land flowing  w/milk/honey; they hearken, come unto king, say let us go 3 days into wilderness, sacrifice to God; KoE not let you go, I smite Egypt w/all my wonders, he let you go; ye not go empty; every woman borrow silver, gold, raiment, put them on sons, daughters, ye shall spoil Egyptians.  (Moses is instructed by the God of his fathers)
Principle:
The Lord sees our afflictions, hears our cries, knows our sorrows and delivers us.
The Lord wants to bring us into a land flowing with milk and honey.
The Lord can bless His people and plunder an enemy with the same action.
3
4:1-17
M: they not believe; L: cast (rod) to ground, became serpent, M fled; L: take it by tail, it became rod; L: put thy hand into bosom, leprous as snow; L: put hand into bosom again, turned as flesh; If they not believe, take water of river, pour, shall become blood on land; M: I not eloquent, L: go, I be w/mouth, teach what to say; M: Lord, send by hand thou wilt; anger of Lord kindled: brother speak well, put words his mouth, I be w/thy mouth/his, teach what to do; he spokesman, thou be to him instead of God; take rod, thou do signs. (Moses’ doubts and the Lord’s signs)
Principle:
The Lord will perform miracles to help us believe.
If we anger the Lord with disobedience, He may give our ministry and blessing to someone else.
4
4:18-31
M to Jethro: let me return to Egypt, J: go; M took wife, sons, returned Egypt, rod of God in hand; L: do wonders before Pharaoh, I harden heart, he not let go; say thus say Lord, Israel my son, firstborn, let son go/serve me, if thou refuse, I slay thy firstborn; By way in inn, Lord sought to kill him; Zipporah cut off foreskin of son, cast at feet: bloody husband to me; He let him go; L to Aaron: go meet M, met at mtn of God, kissed; M told A words of Lord, signs he commanded; M&A gathered elders of Israel; A spake, did signs; people believed, they heard Lord visited Israel, looked upon affliction, bowed heads/worshiped.  (Moses returns to Egypt, Aaron speaks to the elders who believe and worship)
Principle:
Obedience to God is crucial for the leaders He chooses.
Hearing God’s words and seeing God’s signs will draw His people to believe, bow and worship.

 

Subject Sentence (10-word sentence with proper structure):

Moses encounters a burning bush, returning to Egypt as deliverer.

 

Aim (Christian and Non-Christian):

TCMAT know that relationship with God is personal and possible.  It enriches our lives and holds us responsible to touch the lives of others in His name.

 

Application:

1
What form(s) has the Lord taken when He’s appeared to you?
Describe the holy ground where you meet with the Lord.
When was the last time you truly encountered God and how did that encounter change how you saw Him (and yourself)?
2
How might you express your thanks to the Lord for seeing your afflictions, hearing your cries, knowing your sorrows and delivering you?
How have you experienced a land flowing with milk and honey in this lifetime and how do you expect to encounter it in the next?
When have you observed blessing coming from what might seem to be punishment?
3
What miraculous things have you witnessed that have drawn you to deeper belief in God?
How might you safeguard your ministry from your own disobedience?
4
How might you advise a young Christian about obedience?
What Scriptures would you share with someone to indicate what makes a godly leader?
In what way has hearing God’s words led you to believe, bow before Him and worship Him?

 

I’ve started writing my “Aim” after creating my application questions, hoping to create a better
overview of my homiletics.

I encourage you to develop your own shorthand for your homiletics.  You may notice I used "f-I-l"
instead of writing our "father-in-law".  It just helps shorten my notes.  I also abbreviate name: M for
Moses, A for Aaron, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen