Monday, September 28, 2015

Armor of God – Week Three – The Breastplate of Righteousness

This is what I learned from Video #3:

·         The Breastplate of Righteousness is our uniform and it equals right living that aligns with God’s expectations

·         The Belt of Truth carries the weight of our pursuit of righteousness

·         Sanctification is the Holy Spirit’s job.  I cooperate by renewing my mind in the Word and obeying

·         The Holy Spirit sculpts me by chipping away anything that doesn’t look like Jesus

·         My heart is the centerpiece of my soul

·         My conscience is the microphone used by the Holy Spirit to enable me to hear God’s voice

·         Unrighteousness is an environment where demonic influence feels welcome

·         People should wonder what planet I come from – my behavior should be alien in this world

·         The devil will bait me at my weakest moments

·         Perfectionism is a crippling shackle the enemy puts on me – the Perfect One has already come

·         I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus

·         The Holy Spirit enables me to live beyond myself.  He changes me from the inside out

This week’s book work taught me:

·         Right living guards me from the enemy’s attacks because obedience = resisting the devil, which means he will flee from me (James 4:7)

·         I don’t need to invite unrighteousness into my life.  I only need to create the environment where it feels welcome

·         If I know the good I ought to do and don’t do it, I sin (James 4:17)

·         If I don’t choose to align my life with God’s truth, I leave my heart as an exposed target for enemy attacks

·         "If my people would only listen to me, if Israel would only follow my ways, how quickly I would subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes! (Psalm 81:13-14)

·         Trying to be perfect is exhausting and discouraging

·         Comparing myself to others is deceiving because I still can’t compare to God

·         I am righteous and clean before God

·         The old things passed away, behold, the new things have come (2 Corinthians 5:17)

·         I don’t need to gain God’s approval – I already have it

·         God’s people need to put off falsehood, sinning in anger, stealing, unwholesome talk, bitterness, rage, anger, brawling, slander, sexual immorality, impurity, greed, obscenity, foolish talk, coarse joking (Ephesians 4:25-55)

·         God’s people need to put on humility, gentleness, patience, love, unity, peace, truthful speech, kindness, compassion, forgiveness (Ephesians 4)

·         Righteousness is in me, not it needs to be on me

·         True righteousness must be released, not manufactured

·         If I concentrate on having a vibrant spiritual life, I’ll automatically grow and change as a result

·         I’m called to be a doer of the Word (James 1:21-22)

·         I must allow the Word to influence everything in my life

·         I need to meditate on the Word, internalize its principles and implement them

·         God will never convict unless He intends to empower

Here’s the prayer strategy I’ve crafted based on what I learned this week:

My Generous, Selfless Lord Who approves of me and will never convict me unless You plan to empower, I repent of wrongdoing and inviting enemy attack, of not doing the good I know I should (Jas 4:17), of perfectionism and comparing myself to others and of not having a vibrant spiritual life.  I ask You to help me live right and resist the devil so he flees (Jas 4:7), align my heart with Your truth, that Your Word would influence my whole life.  Thank You for providing my righteousness and making me clean before You.  I am a new creation – the old is gone (2 Cor 5:17).  Your righteousness is in me, now it needs to be on me.  Help me to follow Your ways and quickly subdue my enemies (Ps 81:13-14).  Lead me to meditate on Your Word, internalize its principles and implement them.  Make me a doer of Your Word (Jas 1:22-24) who honors You with her life.

No comments: