Skip to main content

The Truth Project: Lesson Eleven – The American Experiment: Stepping Stones

These tours just get better and better. Each one challenges me more deeply. And I believe, after watching this one and participating in discussion with my small group, I am finally on fire to take action. So, here we go…

Our founding fathers came from a comprehensive Biblical Worldview. These Pilgrims and Puritans wanted to use a Biblical model to establish the civil authority. Isaiah 33:22 identifies the Lord as judge, lawgiver and king. This is the basis of our three branches of government (judicial, legislative and executive).

In colonial times in America, the second best-selling book (after the Bible) was The New England Primer. It was used to teach children to read. This book is filled with catechisms and prayers and morality. What a wonderful foundation for colonial children’s education. No wonder there was a deep belief in God in past generations. Universities were originally established on Christian values as well.

Outsiders to our culture even noticed that the American notions of Christianity and liberty were so tightly woven together that one could not conceive of one without the other! That is the foundation of our country. Where did it go?

Thomas Jefferson penned the Declaration of Independence using legal language which included the knowledge that men “…are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights…” Endowed by their Creator. Not the state!

Back in the early days of our country, when a new law was being presented for adoption in government, it would not have been considered an affront to ask the presenter where in the Scriptures the law found its basis. That is how we remained in God’s will, by making sure our laws lined up with His! Paul tells us to be like the Bereans and test everything against the scriptures. From now on when I vote, I will be asking myself how the law/candidate lines up with the Scriptures. I can feel the empowerment already.

I learned that, ten years after Origin of the Species was published, Harvard University got a new president who believed in that the theory of evolution was true. One year after that, an unqualified applicant found himself heading the Harvard Law School because he happened to agree with the University president that evolution was true. This is probably the time frame that legal textbooks ceased being evangelical tools. Dr. Tackett said that there are probably very few law students who come to Christ because of reading a textbook today.

We must remember, repent and return as Revelation 2:5 says. Remember where we came from and Who our Creator is. Repent of our sins, apathy and tolerance. Return to the service of the Lord. This is a powerful lesson. Joshua said, “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” This has ignited a fire in my belly. I have allowed my children to make bad choices, including not attending church. After watching this video and some other study that I’m doing, I feel the conviction to be the parent that my kids need…the parent that this nation needs to grow up the next generation of believers.

I have been hiding my light beneath a basket. Well, no more. Lord Jesus, get rid of the basket and fill me with Your fire to make the light shine! Hallelujah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen