Skip to main content

A Loner No More?

I don’t trust people. At least not anymore. Not for several years. I grew up with a very naïve and trusting nature and I got burned. A lot. People I trusted to protect me became the source of betrayal. People I thought were my friends let go of me way too easily when I really needed them to hang on to me. People I gave my heart to beat that heart until it was numb and couldn’t feel anymore.

I’ve prayed that God would fix this part of me. That He would bring true friends into my life. That He would teach my loved ones to take care of my heart. For years I’ve prayed for this, but the friends still disappointed. The loved ones continued to take me for granted. Pastors cared for me as long as I was volunteering and taking some of the load off of them.

Then, a brand new verse appeared in my Bible. Don’t you love when that happens? John 2:24 was part of my BSF homework a couple of weeks ago. I read it again today for another study – a study I’ve done previously, so I know I’ve read this verse before. Many times, in fact. But today, God used this verse to answer my prayer request from Sunday School last week. That request was that I would find my value in God alone, not looking to other people to make me feel good about myself.

This verse talks about how Jesus knew the hearts of men, so He didn’t entrust Himself to them. Jesus entrusts Himself to me every time He reveals something about Himself, allowing me to know Him better. Even though I behave toward Jesus like one of my old friends who let go of me when I needed them, He still lets me come close. Today, He told me why. Because He loves me – enough to die for me, in fact – and because I come back to Him with the intent of drawing close to Him.

He reminded me that only one disciple stayed by Him while the rest scattered in the chaos of His arrest. He reminded me that all of the disciples but one was restored into fellowship with Him. After all they did to Him, He still entrusted Himself to them. The power of His Holy Spirit lives in me, and scripture says that I can do all things through Christ, so I can entrust myself to others. And I do as I reveal something about myself to someone.

My prayer request in Sunday School this week will be discernment for who to entrust myself to and the ability to forgive and restore fellowship with those who continue to disappoint. The Lord has taught me that friends and loved ones can be selfish – just like I can – and that can lead to betrayal and letting go and disappointment. He has reminded me that He allows me to draw close to Him after I betray and let go and disappoint. He commands me to go and do likewise. It’ll be tough – impossible without Him – but how can I do anything less for others after all He‘s done for me?

Soften my heart, Lord Jesus, and help me to trust those you’ve placed in my path because I wouldn’t be the person I am today, and leaning on You as I do, if I hadn’t known these disappointments and had these experiences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen