Skip to main content

Homiletics - Romans 16


Contents (not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture):  Where?                                                                Who?

1
1-2
I commend Phoebe, deacon in Cenchreae; receive her, give help.
2
3-5
Greet Priscilla & Aquila, my co-workers in C; risked lives for me, Gentiles churches grateful to them; greet church @ their house, greet Epenetus, 1st convert in Asia.
3
6-7
Greet Mary (worked hard for you); Greet Andronicus & Junia (Jews in prison w/me, outstanding apostles in C before me).
4
8-9
Greet Ampliatus (dear friend in Lord); Greet Urbanus (co-worker in C) & dear friend Stachys.
5
10-11
Greet Apelles (fidelity to C stood test), greet household of Aristobulus; greet Herodion (Jew), household of Narcissus who are in the Lord.
6
12-13
Greet Tryphena & Tryphosa (women, work hard in L), greet dear friend Persis (woman, work very hard in L); greet Rufus & his mother (been mother to me too).
7
14-15
Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas, other bros/sisters; greet Philologus, Julia, Nereus & his sis, Olympas & all L’s ppl w/them.
8
16
Greet another w/holy kiss, churches of C send greetings.
9
17-18
I urge you watch for who cause divisions, put obstacles, keep away; such ppl not serving C but own appetites, by smooth talk/flattery they deceive naïve.
10
19-20
Everyone heard about your obedience, I rejoice bec of you, be wise about good, innocent about evil; G of peace soon crush Satan under your feet, grace of LJ be w/you.
11
21
Timothy sends greetings as do Lucius, Jason & Sosipater.
12
22
I, Tertius, wrote letter, greet you.
13
23
Gaius, whose hospitality I & church enjoy, sends greetings, Erastus (dir of pub wks) & Quartus send greetings.
14
24
Grace of LJC be w/you.
15
25-27
To him able to estab you in acc w/msg I proclaim about JC, keeping w/rev of mystery now revealed & made known, so all Gents come to obedience from faith – to G be glory forever thru JC.

 


Divisions (run-on sentence OK, direct verbiage from Scripture):

1
1-15
Commending Phoebe and greeting those in Rome
Principle:
It’s crucial to have other believers support and encourage you.
2
16-20
A Final Word
Principle:
A final warning is usually an important one.
3
21-27
Greetings to Rome from Paul’s companions
Principle:
It’s good to know that your support system extends beyond what you can see.

 

Subject Sentence (10-word sentence with proper structure):

Paul ends his Roman letter with a warning and greetings.

 

Aim (Christian and Non-Christian):

TCMATK Believers are a support network of encouragement, prayer and the meeting of physical, emotional and spiritual needs.

 

Application:

1
What can you surmise about Phoebe from verse 1?
What might be the purpose in commending Phoebe to the church in Rome?
Who were Priscilla and Aquila?  How did they risk their lives for Paul?  How might they have endeared themselves to other churches?
Who are the other people mentioned in this chapter and what do we learn about them?  What do these lessons teach you about how you should behave?
What might Rufus’ mother have done for Paul to be considered as a mother to him?  How might you “mother” someone else?
Who are the people who are meaningful to you in ministry?
2
What do you think it means to “greet with a holy kiss”?
What did Paul warn the Romans about?  How do you see a need for the same warnings today?
What sort of news about others causes you to rejoice?  What news could you share with someone else to help them rejoice?
3
If you were Tertius, how might writing Paul’s words have changed your heart?
What might it have meant to the Romans to receive greetings from believers in another part of the world?
What is the mystery now revealed and made known?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen