Skip to main content

Homiletics: Exodus 33:7-34:35


Contents (not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture):  Where?                  Desert, Sinai     Who? The Lord, Moses, Aaron, Joshua, Israel

1
33:7-10
M pitch tent outside camp – “tent of meeting” – anyone inquiring of Lord go tent; when M went, all stood at their tent entrances watching M; M went in, pillar of cloud come down, stay at entrance while L spoke M; when people saw pillar of cloud, they worshiped.
2
33:11-13
L speak to M face to face as friend then M return to camp but Joshua not leave tent; MtoL you telling me “lead people” but you not let me know who you send w/me, you said “I know you and you found favor w/me”; if you pleased, teach me your ways so I know you, continue to find favor w/you, this nation your people.
3
33:14-16
L: My presence go w/you, I give you rest; M: if your presence not go, do not send us; how anyone know you pleased w/me and people unless you go w/us, what else distinguish me and people from all other people?
4
33:17-23
LtoM:I do thing you asked bec I pleased & know you by name; M: show me your glory; L: I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence, I have mercy on whom I have mercy, compassion on whom I have comp; but you cannot see face, no one may see and live; there is place near me where you may stand; when glory passes, I put you in cleft in rock and cover you w/my hand until I passed by; then I remove hand and you see my back but face must not be seen.
5
34:1-4
LtoM: chisel 2 stone tablets and I write words on first tablets you broke; be ready AM, come up Sinai present yourself on top of mt; M chiseled tablets like 1st ones, went up Sinai early AM as L cmd, he carried tablets.
6
34:5-7
L came down in cloud, proclaimed his name, the Lord; he passed in front of M: the Lord, the Lord, compassionate & gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love/faithfulness; maintaining love to thousands, forgiving wickedness/rebellion/sin, does not leave guilty unpunished, punishes children for sin of parents to 3rd & 4th gen.
7
34:8-14
M bowed at once & worshiped: L, if I found favor in your eyes, let L go w/us, although this is stiff-necked people, forgive our wickedness/sin, take us as inheritance; L: I making covenant w/you, before your people I do wonders never before done, people will see how awesome is work I do; obey, I drive out “ites”; be careful not make treaty w/those who live in land or they be snare; break down altars, smash sacred stones, cut asherah poles; do not worship any other god for L, whose name is Jealous, is jealous God.
8
34:15-17
“Be careful not make treaty, when they prostitute selves/sacrifice, they invite you & you eat sacrifices; when you choose their dtrs as wives for your sons & those dtrs prostitute themselves, they lead your sons do same; do not make idols.
9
34:18-19
“Celebrate Festival of Unl Bread – 7 days eat bread w/o yeast, do at appt time in mo of Aviv for in that mo you came out of E; 1st offspring of every womb belongs to me, incl all firstborn males of livestock.
10
34:20-22
“redeem firstborn donkey w/lamb, if you do not redeem, break neck, redeem all firstborn sons, no one appear before me empty handed; 6 days labor, 7th day rest even during plowing and harvest; celebrate Festival of Weeks w/firstfruits of wheat harvest and Festival of Ingathering at turn of year.
11
34:23-24
“3x/yr men appear before Sovereign L, GofIs; I drive out nations before you, enlarge your territory, no one covet your land when you go up 3x/yr to appear before L.
12
34:25-27
“Do not offer blood of sacrifice w/anything containing yeast, do not let any of Passover sacrifice remain until AM; bring best of firstfruits of soil to L, do not cook young goat in its mother’s milk; write these words, for in accordance w/these words I made covenant w/you and Is.
13
34:28-33
M w/L 40 days/nights w/o eating bread/drinking water, he wrote on tablets words of covenant - Ten Commandments; when M came down w/tablets he not aware his face was radiant bec he’d spoken w/L; when A & Is saw M, his face was radiant & they afraid to come near; but M called them, so A & leaders came & he spoke to them; after, all Is came near, he gave cmds; when M finished, he put veil over face.
14
34:34-35
Whenever he entered L’s presence, he rem veil until he came out and when he came out and told Is what he’d been commanded; they saw his face radiant, then M put veil on until he went to speak w/L.

 

Divisions (run-on sentence OK, direct verbiage from Scripture):

1
33:7-23
Moses meets with the Lord in the Tent of Meeting
Principle:
Meeting with the Lord regularly is crucial for the servant of God.
2
34:1-27
Moses meets with the Lord on Mount Sinai
Principle:
When we meet with the Lord, we get to know Him intimately.
Our meetings with the Lord should involve our reverence and worship.
We should offer the Lord the best of what we have.
The Lord has provided us with instructions for life and we should follow them.
3
34:28-35
Moses Returns to Camp Radiant from God’s Presence
Principle:
The time we spend with the Lord is evident to others even if we’re unaware.

 

Subject Sentence (10-word sentence with proper structure):

Moses’ meetings with the Lord make his face radiant.

 

Aim (Christian and Non-Christian):

TCMATK Time spent with God changes us in ways that people will notice just like Moses’ countenance reflected the radiance of God’s presence.

 

Application:

1
Describe your routine meeting schedule with the Lord.  (If you don’t have one, what schedule are you willing to commit to beginning today?)
What benefits have you experienced as a result of meeting regularly with the Lord?
What ways of God has He revealed to you and how do you know Him better as a result?
What distinguishes God’s people from other people?
2
Where do you meet with the Lord and what makes each location remarkable?
What is the best that you have to offer the Lord today?
How have you responded to the instructions the Lord has provided for your life?
3
In what way might the time you spend with the Lord be evident to others?
How might what is visible to others be hidden from our own eyes?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen