Skip to main content

Brave by Angela Thomas – Session 7

Homework: I cannot believe that we have completed another Bible study. The time has passed so quickly. This week’s homework touched my heart as the other weeks’ did. The assignment to read all of the book of Ruth in one sitting is always a welcome one. Ruth is one of my favorite books in Scripture. But now I want to do a more in-depth study of the book of Ruth.

My final homework activity was to write a prayer for each of the ladies in the group based on how they answered the first question I asked during the study: “Which chapter(s) do you think will impact you most during this study?” I took insights from the chapter each woman selected and wrote out the prayer based on those insights. Then I gave the prayer to each woman on our last day. For the ladies who joined our study late and didn’t share which chapter would impact them most, I chose one of the chapters for them.

Video: The teaching for session 7, “I Am Broken,” comes from Ruth 4. As I mentioned in my review of this week’s homework, this is one of my most favorite chapters of Scripture. Angela recommends Kelly Minter’s study on the book of Ruth to the viewing audience because she wants us to really grasp this woman’s character. I would love to do this study. Perhaps I’ll suggest it to the Discipleship Committee at my church.

This week, Angela’s teaching brought tears to my eyes. In fact, I don’t think there was a dry eye in Angela’s classroom. I don’t want to give it away, but you may want to make sure that there is tissue available for your small group. Although the fill-in-the-blanks reverted back to the earlier part of the study where the answers came from what was already said in the homework, Angela’s supporting stories brought good teaching.

Class Activity/Discussion: The bulk of our group discussion concentrated on how our brokenness is really an opportunity for us to minister to others. The fact that God allows brokenness to touch the lives of His people means that He has a purpose for it that will glorify Him. Hallelujah!

What an amazing and life-changing study this has been! I will definitely study with Angela Thomas again! It has been a tremendous joy to facilitate this study...even with the challenges encountered to do so. I will miss this wonderful group of women and our video lecturer, Angela Thomas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen