Skip to main content

James: Mercy Triumphs – Week Three – “Words That Free Us”

Chairein! (Ky Rain)

Homework: Day two has really driven home the point that I must be a doer of the Word! I know that reinforcement of this point is going to pound me in future lessons, so I’d better get to work on this pronto. As believers, we must obey scripture and LIVE IT OUT!

Melissa’s Articles: This week’s articles include:

“Hearers, Not Just Readers” was more than inspiration for me to persevere through memorizing the book of James. This article went into depth about how hearing God’s Word spoken makes those words take new shape in the heart and mind of the hearer. It can be an emotionally moving experience to encounter God’s Word with our ears.
The message can resonate more deeply with us. Our ears can pick up on repetitions of words, revealing themes. Hearing isn’t influenced by chapter and verse breaks, so it’s easier to follow the flow of the writing. But the most moving part of this article to me is that hearing the Word creates a special bond with first century believers because this is how the most common people encountered God’s Word. Not that I am not thankful that I am literate, by any means. It is simply humbling and refreshing to hear the Word and let it soak into my heart and mind through my ears.

“The Implanted Word” revealed quite a bit that I never really contemplated before. The Old Testament talks about a time when God’s Word would be planted in men’s hearts. This takes place when we receive God’s gift of salvation. I am blown away that James saw and recognized that the New Testament church was a fulfillment of this Old Testament prophecy while he was right in the midst of it. It just goes to show you how God can use anyone – including a man who didn’t believe his Brother was the Messiah! It makes me wonder what plans He has for my future. I am incredibly excited to find out!

In the article “Perfect Law of Liberty”, Mellissa got me thinking about the liberation that the perfect law of love actually brings. I believe that any future reading of the exodus of the Israelites will be forever colored by the idea that Israel had the opportunity to obey that same perfect law, but their disobedience led to their enslavement by a variety of nations. What has my disobedience cost me? In what areas have I been enslaved and to whom? How can those chains of bondage be broken? I am greatly blessed to know that love really is all you need.

Writing James: This week, we wrote James 1:19-2:13

Memorizing James: I struggled with the memorization exercise last week. Perhaps this was a peeling of my initial arrogance. And despite that, the Lord blessed me deeply by allowing me to encourage others with their scripture memory challenge. It looks like I will be more in tune with Beth’s original 5 month time frame to memorize this 5 chapter book.

As of the class meeting for week three of study, I have memorized James 1:1-19.

Video Segment: This was a terrific lesson that concentrated on just a couple of verses that we already studied this week, but that taught me about looking intently into the perfect Word of God and completely illuminated Christ’s glory! It gave me new perspective on how mankind can miss seeing Christ’s glory since James lived with Jesus and missed it! And knowing that the angels still peer down at us intently and wonder why God is allowing the things that go on reminds me that I’m not alone in having that perspective myself, sometimes. I want the Word to change me deeply. I do wish that Beth would have mentioned in an earlier session why she does her memory work in a different translation than she normally uses for study. I probably would have considered doing the same thing. But now, I’m so far in (working on 1:21, now) that I will keep this in mind for future memory work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen