Skip to main content

The Golden Braid by Melanie Dickerson

The Golden Braid 
by Melanie Dickerson  
YA Fiction
Thomas Nelson 


Litfuse, Thomas Nelson, and Melanie Dickerson are excited to bring to you Melanie's newest fairy tale retelling, The Golden Braid.
The one who needs rescuing isn't always the one in the tower. . . .
Rapunzel can throw a knife better than any man. She paints beautiful flowering vines on the walls of her plaster houses. She sings so sweetly she can coax even a beast to sleep. But there are two things she is afraid her mother might never allow her to do: learn to read and marry.
Fiercely devoted to Rapunzel, her mother is suspicious of every man who so much as looks at her daughter and warns her that no man can be trusted. After a young village farmer asks for Rapunzel's hand in marriage, Mother decides to move them once again---this time, to the large city of Hagenheim.
The journey proves treacherous, and after being rescued by a knight---Sir Gerek---Rapunzel, in turn, rescues him farther down the road. As a result, Sir Gerek agrees to repay his debt to Rapunzel by teaching her to read. Could there be more to him than his arrogance and desire to marry for riches and position?
As Rapunzel acclimates to life in a new city, she uncovers a mystery that will forever change her life. In this Rapunzel story unlike any other, a world of secrets and treachery are about to be revealed after seventeen years. How will Rapunzel finally take control of her own destiny? And who will prove faithful to a lowly peasant girl with no one to turn to?
 
 

 Meet the Author
Melanie Dickerson is an award-winning author who earned her bachelor's degree in special education from The University of Alabama.

She has taught in Georgia, Tennessee, Germany, and the Eastern European country of Ukraine.

A member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and Romance Writers of America (RWA), she now spends her time writing and taking care of her husband and two daughters near Huntsville, Alabama.

Visit our blog Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter


Here's my review of this wonderful retelling of the story of Rapunzel:

First, I would like to extend a heartfelt “Thank you” to Melanie Dickerson and her publisher for sending me a copy of "The Golden Braid" to review for them. I am truly grateful for this generosity. I really appreciate the time, effort and expense it takes to make a reviewer copy available to me.

“The Golden Braid” by Melanie Dickerson is a beautifully retold version of the Rapunzel story.  In this version, Rapunzel is uprooted from her home when she receives a marriage proposal and her mother, who is suspicious of all men, makes them relocate.  The beautiful Rapunzel and her mother are rescued from an attack by a handsome, but grumpy, knight.  When Rapunzel sneaks away from home (and her over-protective mother) to learn to read, the monk takes her to her recuperating rescuer, Sir Gerek.  Rapunzel learns as well as she does everything else (knife throwing, painting, singing).  As her abilities increase, so does her desire for more out of life, as well as her need to be free of her mother’s control.

This is a charming story with fleshy characters, a rich plot, delightful dialogue and a thick backbone of godliness that sweeps the reader away to far off places and a long gone era.  The imagery is so vivid, it plays like a movie in my mind as I read.  “The Golden Braid” is an enjoyable young adult novel that is easily devoured as a standalone book or in concert with Melanie’s other novels of Hagenheim.  I can’t recommend these books highly enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen