Skip to main content

Not Your Average Reading Challenge




This is not your average reading challenge.  You don’t have to read 50 books by the end of the year.  You don’t have to read a book by an author with the same initials as yours.  You don’t have to read a thriller or a classic or a book translated from in a foreign language.  I don’t belittle those types of challenges.  In fact, I completed two such lists this year.  But I’d like to issue a challenge of another sort.

Below, you will find a list of names.  Each is the moniker of a human being who openly lived for Christ and because of that, changed the world in Christ’s Name.  Read something by or about one or more of these individuals, not to glorify the individual but rather to see the work of God in others’ lives so we may better notice His work in ours.  This list is certainly not exhaustive.  If you’d like to add a name, please leave it as a comment on this post.  I pray this activity blesses you and inspires you to live out loud for Christ!

A.W. Tozer
Adoniram Judson
Amy Carmichael
Andrew Murray
Benjamin Broomhall
Bethany Hamilton
Betty Greene
Betty Olsen
Billy Graham
Billy Sunday
Brother Andrew
Brother Lawrence
Cameron Townsend
Captain John Birch
Charles Grandison Finney
Charles Judd
Charles Spurgeon
Clarence Jones
Corrie Ten Boom
Count Zinzendorf
C.S. Lewis
C.T. Studd
David Brainerd
David Bussau
David Livingstone
Dawson Trotman
Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Dixon Edward Hoste
D.L. Moody
Elisabeth Elliot
Eric Liddell
Eric Ludy
Fannie Crosby
Father Damien
Florence Young
Frances Ridley Havergal
Francis Asbury
Francis (and Edith) Schaeffer
Frank Laubach
Franklin Graham
G.K. Chesterton
George Muller
George Whitefield
Gladys Aylward
Harriet Tubman
Henry Martyn
Horatio Spafford
Hudson Taylor
Ida Scudder
Ignatius of Antioch
Irenaeus of Lyons
Isobel Kuhn
Jacob DeShazer
James W.C. Pennington
Jeanne Guyon
Jim Elliot
John Bunyan
John Calvin
John Eliot
John Lennox
John Newton
John Gibson Paton
John Stephen Piper
John Pollock
John Stott
John Wesley
John Williams
John Wycliffe
Jonathan Edwards
Jonathan Goforth
Ken Boa
Ken Taylor
Klaus-Dieter John
Lee Stroebel
Leonard Ravenhill
Lillian Trasher
Loren Cunninghan
Lottie Moon
Louis Zamperini
Luis Palau
Martin Luther
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Mary Slessor
Mary Jo Sharp
Mike Benge (Betty Olsen’s co-captor)
Montagu Beauchamp
Mordecai Ham
Mother Teresa
Nate Saint
Norman Grubb
Paul Brand
Philip P. Bliss
R.C. Sproul
Rachel Saint
Ravi Zacharias
Richard Wurmbrand
Robert Moffat
Robert Murray McCheyne
Rowland Bingham
Saint Augustine
Samuel Morris
Samuel Zwemer
Sundar Singh
Thomas a Kempis
Watchman Nee
Wilfred Grenfell
William (and Catherine) Booth
William Carey
William Cowper
William David Rudland
William Tyndale
William Wilberforce
Xi Shengmo
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen