Skip to main content

LESSON NINE: “1 Peter: Finding Encouragement in Troubling Times – A Sue Edwards Inductive Bible Study”

Lesson 9 of “1 Peter: Finding Encouragement in Troubling Times – A Sue Edwards Inductive Bible Study” led me to examine the characteristics of the Good Shepherd that should be emulated by a good leader. As Christians, I believe each of us is called to leadership as a member of the body of Christ, using our unique gifts and talents to shine the light of Christ in a dark world.

The Good Shepherd is Jesus. He calls His sheep by name and His sheep know and obey His voice. He goes before them and leads them. He lays down His life for His sheep. Jesus cares for His sheep. He knows His sheep. He is known by His sheep. Believers are His sheep.

So, as a good leader, what characteristics should I be incorporating into my own behavior? John 10:1-18 brings up some substantial points:

- First of all, the true shepherd of the flock enters through the gate, and Jesus explains that He is the gate, so we should lead others in the name of the Lord.

- We should call those we lead by name. I believe this demonstrates a level of relationship beyond just seeing a face and possibly recognizing it. It is a mark of genuine caring, which is addressed later in the passage along with knowing the sheep.

- We should lead by example, going ahead of those for whom we are responsible.

- Here’s the tough one: lay down his life for his sheep. Yes, as leaders we should willingly follow Christ to the death. We cannot do what Christ did in this instance and bring salvation to others, but our obedience and immense sacrifice cannot help but point others to the true Savior!

- We should care for the sheep. What are the needs of those you lead? How can you meet those needs? Perhaps you need to delegate this task to someone else.

- We should be known by those we lead. There should be a level of transparency in us as leaders. Those we lead should be able to pray for us and help us in our leadership tasks.

Frankly, this final exercise is what I will take away from this study. I cannot believe that nine weeks has already passed. I’ve loved learning with my fellow bloggers. What a terrific way to do Bible study.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen