Skip to main content

Blameless Life - Psalm 15:4

Today’s world doesn’t lend itself to the behavior spoken of in Psalm 15:4. We do what is considered politically correct. We are silenced in the name of tolerance. Jesus wasn’t cruel when He spoke the truth to the people He encountered. He genuinely loved them. He didn’t belittle them based on their sin to make Himself feel better. He knew who He was. It’s time we realize who we are:

We are princes and princesses. My Father is the King of the Universe! What does your Daddy do? If you’re reading this, I would venture to say He is the great I Am!

Loathe, Despise and Hate

Are we really supposed to hate anything as Christians? I was plagued by this question a few years ago. I struggled with some very serious “hate” issues. One of the women in my Bible study group suggested I do a word study on “hate”. I did the same with the word “despised.” I found 50 verses that contained the word. Here are a few of them. Look up these verses and note the context of each use of the word “despised.” Remember that the version of the Bible you are using may not translate the original Hebrew as “despised,” but it will be something close. (Genesis 25:34, 2 Samuel 6:16, Psalm 15:4, Ecclesiastes 9:16, Isaiah 53:3)

Alright, back to my original question: are Christians really supposed to hate? Look up the word despise. It doesn’t mean “hate”. After looking up several words to clarify the meaning of “despise,” I’ve come to the following conclusion. It means to look upon as inferior. All of this research can seem pretty complicated and time-consuming, but I did say earlier that you’ll get more out of your study time if you’re willing to put more into it.

To continue building on this, we are to despise that which is vile. What does vile mean? It is something disgusting. So we are to look at disgusting things as inferior. We’ve already established that despise doesn’t mean hate. But we are instructed in Psalm 15:4 to look down upon that which has been rejected by God. It has no place in our lives. It doesn’t deserve our time or consideration. I think this is summed up pretty well by Psalm 101:3. Look up this verse.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

The word “honor” is mentioned 161 times in the NIV Bible. It means respect and esteem. When we respect God, He honors us with blessings. He shows us respect by giving us great responsibility. When we chase after what is right, we find respect. Being humble is a prerequisite for obtaining respect.

I hope you already have a healthy understanding of respect. I pray you give it to your spouse, your pastor and your boss. I pray you get it from your kids. What are some ways people have honored you? How have you esteemed others?

Don’t forget that the key to success in this area of blameless living is humility. Can you see a pattern? We gain respect by being humble. As God’s chosen people, we should be truly humble. Humility comes with wisdom. Wisdom comes from the fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord brings honor. The key to being truly humble lies in honoring, esteeming and respecting God.

So, let’s evaluate ourselves. Do you currently obey Psalm 15:4 and respect those who fear the Lord? Why or why not?

It’s all about love. The command to honor those who love the Lord goes hand-in-hand with loving your brother. The Word says that we will be known by our love for one another. So, if we’re not honoring each other, we’re not only disobeying the Word of God, we are not recognizable as Christians! I don’t know about you, but I want people to see Jesus in me and be drawn to Him.

A Promise Is A Promise

Do you know anyone who kept their word, even when it hurt them to do so? Hello, McFly. (That phrase kind of gets lost if you can’t imagine me knocking on my own forehead!) Jesus did! Duh…the cross!

How would you feel about someone who made a promise to you, then failed to keep it? Would you have a difficult time trusting that person to do what they say in the future? Would it have made any difference if they had communicated their difficulties to you better? Have you ever let someone down in this way? If so, what could you do to change your behavior and become more reliable?


Memorize on… Psalm 15:4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen