Skip to main content

Homiletics Luke 4:14-44


Content (not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture, fit on one line):

4:14-15 J retd Gal pwr Sprt,news sprd abt Hm thru ctrysd;He tchg syngog,evry1 praisd Hm

16 He went Naz,ou He brt up,Sabbat He went syngog,as was His custom,stood2read

17-18a scroll Isa hnd2Hm,unrollng,He found ou wrtn:Spirt L on me,He anoint me2proclm gd news2poor

18b-19 snt me prclm freedm4prisnrs,recvry of sight4blind,2set opprssd free;2prclm yr L’s favor

20-21 rolld scroll,gv bk2attndt,sat;eyes evry1 on Hm;”2day,this fulfilld in ur hearing”

22 All spk well Hm&amazd at gracious wds frm His lips,”Isn’t this Jos’s son?”

23 J:”surely u quote pr2me:’Phys,heal self’&u tell me:’do here in ur hmtwn wht we heard u did Capern’”

24-26 “no proph accptd hmtwn;mny widow Is Elijah’s time-sky shut3½y/famine; E sent2them,Zarephath

27-28 mny Is w/leprosy Elisha,not1cleansd-only Naaman the Syrian”

28-29 all ppl syngog furious whn heard this;drove Hm out twn2hill2throw Hm off cliff

 

30-32 He wlkd thru crowd,went2Capern in Gal,Sabbath taught ppl;they amazed,His wds authority

33-34 Syngog man poss demon,cried out:”go,what u want JofNaz?U cm destroy us?I know u Holy SoG”

35 “Quiet! Come out!” demon threw man dn,cm out w/o injuring hm

36 All ppl amazed:”What wds, w/authority/pwr He gv ordrs2impure spirits&they cm out!”

37-38 News abt Hm spread;J left syngog,went hm Simon,m-i-l hi fever,they ask J help

39-40 He rebuke fever,it left,she wait on them;sunset ppl brt all sickness,He healed

41 demons cm out shoutg:U SoG! He rebuked/allow2spk bec they knew He Messiah

 

42 daybreak, J2solitary place, ppl lk4Hm,cm ou He was, tried2keep Hm from leaving them

43 “I must proclaim good news koG 2other towns,that why I sent”

44 He kept preaching in syngogs Judea

 

Divisions (run-on sentence OK, direct verbiage from Scripture/Principles are Aims for each Division):

1.Jesus teaches in Nazareth, infuriating the people who try to throw Him off a cliff. (4:14-29)

Principle: Some people will reject Jesus.

2.Jesus teaches in Capernaum, amazing the people with authority, healing and casting out demons. (4:30-41)

Principle: Some people will accept and desire Jesus.

3.Jesus goes to a solitary place, where the people find Him and try to keep Him from leaving. (4:42-44)

Principle: Jesus needed to get alone with the Father.

 

Subject Sentence (10-word sentence with proper structure showing exactly where you are in Scripture):

After teaching Nazareth and Capernaum, Jesus seeks a solitary place.

 

Aim (“To Cause My Audience To…” Know, See, etc.):

TCMATK To serve God well, God’s people need to get alone with Him regularly so He can prepare us.

 

Application (not yes or no question.  Meant to bring about heart change):

1.How have you guarded your heart to continue sharing your faith from painful experiences of rejection because of your faith in Jesus?

2.How have you kept your heart from becoming prideful over mission success?

3.How does God minister to you when you get alone with Him that keeps you motivated to seek Him daily?


How would I describe God in this passage?  God is a teacher.  God preaches the good news of salvation to the poor.  He restores sight to the blind.  He proclaims freedom to prisoners.  His words are gracious.  He knows Scripture.  His words have authority.  He drives out demons.  Jesus is the Son of God.  He heals the sick.  The Trinity has healthy fellowship with each other.

 

Who are “the lost”?  The people in Jesus’ hometown Nazareth who wanted to throw Him off a cliff.  Those who flocked to hear His teaching and embraced it.  Those who sought Him for healing.  Those out of whom He cast demons.

 

Where do I see the Holy Spirit’s power?   Authority in preaching.  Casting out demons.  Healing.

 

Where do I see an emphasis on prayer?  Jesus going to a solitary place.

 

Where do I see joy?  Peter’s mother-in-law expressed her joy and gratitude through serving.

 

How could this joy be my strength today?  I can serve because God has given me so much.

 

What do I love about Jesus?  Everything.  He loves people.  He gives of Himself.  He sets an example for us.  He reaches out to the broken.

 

What references to food do I see in this passage?  When Jesus healed Peter’s mother-in-law, she got up and waited on them.  She served them.  She made them comfortable.

 

If this were the only page torn out of a Bible I possessed, what would I treasure about it?  Jesus’ heart for people.  Even those who wanted to kill Him.  Jesus (and Peter) valuing Peter’s mother-in-law so much as to heal her.  He didn’t turn anyone away.  Even when people interrupted His quiet time, He didn’t get angry.

Comments

Thatus said…
thank you for this inspirational message
Cloud Computing Service
Thalinna Parker said…
Thanks for posting your blogs its so wonderful and i really like it. i reaaly learn a lot from your blogs.

PCX Tech, Dallas IT Cyber Security

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen