Skip to main content

Homiletics Luke 1-2

Content (not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture, fit on one line):
1:1-4 acct handed dn,I investg8d,write4u Theo,u know certainty thing u been taught
 
5-10 time of Herod, Zech/Eliz desc Aaron,rteous,childless,old,Zech srvg tmpl incense,wrshprs prayg
11-15 aoL,rt of altar inc,Zech fear;be afraid;ur prayr heard,Eliz son John,grt,nvr wine,filld w/S b4 born
16-20 he brng bk ppl2L;sprit/pwr Elijh;mk rdy ppl4L;Z:how I sure?I Gab,std presnc G,u silnt bec believ
21-31 ppl waitg Z,cm out,speak,svc cmplt,home,Eliz preg,5mo seclusn,6mo a2Mary:u favr w/G,son,J
32-38He grt,SonMostHigh,L gv throne D,reign4evr;M:how?a:HS;Eliz6thmo;wordG fail;I L’s svt,a left
39-56 M2Eliz,bby leapd,E filld HS;blessd=child;M:soul glorfy L;He perf mty deeds;M stay3mo,ret home
57-64 Eliz,birth,nghbrs shard joy;8thd,circ,mothr:John;ppld md signs2fr,he wrote John,beg2spk,prs G
65-74 Z filld HS,prphsied:prs L he cm2ppl redeem,raisd hrn salv,sho mercy,rescue,enable srv w/o fear
76-80 my child propht,go b4L;gv knowl salv;child grew,strng in spirit;lived wildrnss
 
2:1-12 Caes Aug census,Jos Naz2Beth w/M;bby born,mangr,aoL2shep:2day Savior born;sign:manger
13-20 hvnly host apprd,praisd G,left;shep:let’s go;found M,J,bby;spread word,M treas,shep retd
21-32 8thd,circ,Jesus,2Jerus,presnt;Simeon,HS on him,2tmpl,praisd G:eyes seen salv,lt rev2Gents,glry Is
33-35 Sim2M:child destind caus fall/ris many Is,thoughts many s reveald;sword prc ur soul
36-38 proph Anna,dtr Penuel (Asher),old,livd w/husb7y,wid till 84,nvr lft tmpl,fast/pray;thx2G re:child
39-43 J&M retd Gal,child grew,strng,wisdm,grace;evry yr2Jerus Passovr;he 12yo,aftr fest,J stay in Jerus
44-46 they travl 1 day,began lookg4him;find,went bk Jerus;aftr3d,found him tmpl,listening,askg quest
47-48 evry1 amazed at understdg/ans;mother:yu treat us lk this?anxiously srchg4u
49-51 yu srchg4me?i be in Father’s House;they undrstd;he2Naz,obedient,mother treas
52 J grew wisdom,stature,favor w/G&men
 
Divisions (run-on sentence OK, direct verbiage from Scripture/Principles are Aims for each Division):
1.An orderly account for Theophilus (1:1-4)
Principle:  God is orderly.
2.The birth and growth of John (1:5-80)
Principle:  God’s timing is perfect.
3.The birth and growth of Jesus (2:1-52)
Principle:  God has plans for every life.
 
Subject Sentence (10-word sentence with proper structure showing exactly where you are in Scripture):
An orderly account of John’s and Jesus’ births and growth.
 
Aim (“To Cause My Audience To…” Know, See, etc.):
TCMATK Everyone’s story has a beginning and those who have a relationship with Jesus have a story to tell.
 
Application (not yes or no question.  Meant to bring about heart change):
1.What Scriptures have helped you to be certain about what you’ve learned and believe about Jesus?
2.Which event(s) surrounding John’s birth transform your thinking to prepare the way for the Messiah?
3.What event(s) around Jesus’ birth and in His growing up years impact your thinking about Who He is and your relationship with Him?

And some extra questions I'm asking myself during my summer study...

How would I describe God in this passage?  God is a perfect promise-keeper.  He has fulfilled His promises!  He has been investigated and approved.  We may be certain of what we’ve been taught like Theophilus.  The Bible (book of Luke) records the truth.  God is a strategic leader.  He sent the angel Gabriel to Zechariah to give him the good news of his son’s birth and mission.  He sent Gabriel to Mary.  God is a miraculous favor bestower.  He gave Zechariah and Elizabeth and Mary children miraculously.  His word will never fail.  An angel appeared to the shepherds to announce the birth of Jesus.  God is Abba, Father.
 
Who are “the lost”?  Zechariah and Elizabeth’s neighbors and relatives.  The shepherds?  Jesus’ relatives and friends?  Some of the teachers in the temple courts?
 
Where do I see the Holy Spirit’s power?  Zechariah and Elizabeth being declared righteous.  An angel of the Lord (Gabriel) appeared to Zechariah in the Holy Place of the temple.  Gabriel told Zechariah that his son, John, would be filled with the Spirit prior to birth.  The baby in Elizabeth’s womb leaped for joy when Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting and Elizabeth was filled with the Spirit.  Was Mary pregnant with Jesus already?  Was it Jesus’ presence that made John leap in the womb? Zechariah was filled with the Spirit after the naming of John and he prophesied.
 
Where do I see an emphasis on prayer?  Zechariah was serving as priest in the temple, burning incense and apparently praying for a child.  I believe the role of the priest when tending the incense in the Holy Place was to pray for the Messiah.  So two prayers were answered in one.  Plus, the people outside were praying.  Was he praying as the angel appeared?  Was Mary praying when Gabriel appeared to her? Elizabeth and Mary both praise the Lord.  Zechariah praised the Lord and prophesied after John was named.
 
Where do I see joy?  The angel Gabriel tells Zechariah that his son, John, will be a joy and delight to him.  Zechariah’s wife became pregnant.  The baby in Elizabeth’s womb leaped for joy when Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting and Elizabeth was filled with the Spirit.  Elizabeth’s neighbors shared her joy when she gave birth to John.  Mary treasures up in her heart what the shepherds say and what Jesus tells her after she finds Him in the temple.
 
How could this joy be my strength today?  I am overjoyed that John the Baptist paved the way for Jesus!  For whom might I pave the way to Jesus today?  Jesus must be in His Father’s house.  Since my body is His temple, He must be in me!
 
What do I love about Jesus?  I love Jesus’ power!  Even as a fetus, He amazes!  He isn’t selfish.  He must be in His Father’s house.  The more I become like Him, the more I will be in my Father’s house, too.
 
What references to food do I see in this passage?  I see none.
 
If this were the only page torn out of a Bible I possessed, what would I treasure about it?  Older men and women can be useful to God.  God’s people encourage each other.  Mary had a beautiful, obedient attitude.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen