Skip to main content

Homiletics: John 17


Content (not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture, fit on one line):

1. aftr J lookd 2 hvn/prayd: Fr, hr cm, glrfy Son tht Son glrfy U (1)

2. u grntd Hm authrty ovr all ppl tht He might gv etrnl life 2 all U gvn Hm (2)

3. this etrnl life: they kno U, only tru G&JC, whom U snt: I’ve brought U glry by fin wrk U gv me (3-4)

4. now, Fr, glrfy me in ur presnc w/glry I had w/U b4 wrld began (5)

5. I revld U2 thos U gv me, they wer urs/obeyd ur wd; now they kno evrythg u gvn me cms frm U (6-7)

6. 4I gv em wds u gv me&they accptd, they knew w/certnty I cm frm U/bel U sent me (8)

7. I pray 4em,wrld but thos u gvn me 4 they r urs; all I hv=urs,all u hv=mine&glrys cm 2me thru em (9-10)

8. I remn lngr but they still in wrld, I cmng2U; HFr prtct em by pwr o ur nom, so they1 as we1 (11)

9.  while I w/em I prtctd em by nom u gv me, none lost xcpt 1 doomd to destructn so Scr fulfilled (12)

10. I say so they hv full meas o my joy; I gvn em ur wd&wrld h8d em 4they o wrld ne mo than I (13-14)

11. my pryr u tk em out wrld bt prtct frm evl1;they o wrld as I o it;snctfy em by truth,ur wd=truth (15-17)

12. as u snt me into wrld, I snt em;4 em I snctfy myslf that they my b truly snctfied (18-19)

13. my pryr 4em alone bt 4 those who’ll bel in me thru their msg (20)

14. tht allB1 as UinMe&IinU,may they BinUs so wrld bel U snt me (21)

15. Igvn em glry UgvMe tht they b1 as We1- (22)

16. IinEm&UinMe-so they brght 2 complt unity then wrld kno UsntMe&lvd em as UlvdMe (23)

17. Fr,I want those UgvnMe 2Bw/Me whr I am&2CMy glry,the glry UgvnMe bec UlvdMeB4creatn o wrld (24)

18. Righteous Fr, tho wrld kno U, I kno U & they kno U hv snt Me (25)

19. Ive md U known 2em & will cont 2 mk U known that lvUhv4Me may BinEm&I may BinEm (26)

 

Divisions (run-on sentence OK, direct verbiage from Scripture/Principles are Aims for each Division):

1. Jesus prayed for the Father to be glorified and those given to Him to believe. (1-8)

Principle:  Jesus’ goal is to glorify the Father.

2. Jesus prayed for the protection and sanctification of those given to Him. (9-19)

Principle:  Jesus protects and sanctifies His people.

3. Jesus prayed for the unity of those who would believe through the message of those given to Him. (20-23)

Principle:  Jesus is united with all believers.

4. Jesus prayed that those given to Him would be with Him and see His glory and that He would be in them. (24-26)

Principle:  Jesus opens the eyes of those who belong to Him to see His glory.

 

Subject Sentence (10-word sentence with proper structure showing exactly where you are in Scripture):

Jesus prayed for God’s glory, believers’ protection, sanctification and unity.

 

Aim (“To Cause My Audience To…” Know, See, etc.):

TCMATK Believers in Christ are united with Him, being sanctified by and protected by Him, bringing glory to Him with their lives.

 

Application (not yes or no question.  Meant to bring about life change):

1. In what areas of your life are you not bringing Christ as much glory as you could and what will you change this week to glorify Him better?

2. How are you sharing your experiences of Christ’s protection and/or sanctification with those in your sphere of influence?

3. What changes has Christ made in you as a direct result of your unity with Him?

4. How have you seen Christ’s glory this week and how has this encounter changed your behavior or thinking?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen