Skip to main content

Homiletics: John 13:1-30

Changing up the template as I've seen other people's homiletics and adopted some of their styles:


Content (not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture, fit on one line):

1. Just b4 PO Fstvl, J knew hr cm to lv wrld go Fr, hvng Yd His own in wrld He Yd them to end (1)

2. Eve ml, dvl prmptd Judas btray J; J knew Fr put all thngs undr His pwr, He cm frm G/was retg 2 G (2-3)

3. He got up frm ml, tk off outr clothg, towl arnd waist; pourd h2o bgan wash Disc ft, drying w/towl (4-5)

4. He cm 2 SP: L u going wsh my ft? J: u realize what I doing, but l8r u undstd (6-7)

5. P: No, u nvr wash my ft, J: unless I wash, u hv no part w/me; P: L not jst ft but hands/head as well (8-9)

6. J: those who had bath need only wash ft, whole bdy cln, u cln tho evry1; He knew who btray (10-11)

 

7. Whn fin washg, put on clothes, ret’d to place: Do u undstd what I done 4u? (12)

8. U call me L&Tchr, rghtly so, that wht I am; Now tht I, L&Tchr wshd ur ft u shld wsh 1 anothrs ft (13-14)

9. I set ex u shld do; VTITY no srvt>mastr nor msgr>1who sent him; now u know u blesd if u do (15-17)

10. I referrg 2 all u, I know those I chosn, this 2 fulfil Scr: He who shard bread turnd against me (18)

11. I tell u so when happn u bel I am who I am (19)

12. VTITY whovr acc NE1 I send acc me, whovr acc me acc who sent me (20)

 

13. After He said this, J troubled in spirit and testified: VTITY 1 of u going 2 btray me (21)

14. Disc stared @ 1 anothr @ loss 2 know which He meant; 1 of em, Disc J Yd, recline nxt 2 Him (22-23)

15. SP 2 this Disc: ask which 1 He means; leaning bk against J: L who is it? (24-25)

16. J: the 1 I give this bread when dipped, then dipping bread, He gave 2 Judas son of Simon Iscariot (26)

17. As soon as Judas took bread, Satan enterd him, J: what u about 2 do, do quickly (27)

18. No1 @ ml understood why J said this (28)

19. Since Judas had chrg of $, some thot J telling him buy for festvl or gv 2 poor (29)

20. As soon as Judas tk bread, he went out, it was night (30)

 

Divisions (run-on sentence OK, direct verbiage from Scripture):

1. Jesus washes the disciples’ feet

Principle: Jesus’ work cleanses His people.

2. Jesus set an example for His disciples and revealed Scripture to be fulfilled

Principle: Jesus’ disciples follow His example and study the Scriptures.

3. Jesus testifies about betrayal and Judas goes into the night

Principle: Jesus’ betrayal by Judas was part of God’s plan to give salvation to the world.

 

Subject Sentence (10-word sentence with proper structure showing where you are in Scripture):

After washing the disciples’ feet, Jesus sends Judas to betray.

 

Aim (“To Cause My Audience To…” Know, See, etc.):

TCMATK Jesus came to earth to cleanse people from their sins and set an example of service for His disciples to follow.

 

Application (not yes or no question.  Meant to bring about life change):

1. How has Jesus’ work on the cross cleansed you?

2. In what way have you followed Jesus’ example as revealed in Scripture?

3. When have you experienced an unpleasant circumstance that proved to be part of God’s perfect plan for your life and how has this circumstance changed how you look for God’s activity around you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen