Skip to main content

Character Issues

If I didn’t have them before, I believe I have them, now! "Character issues" - this was the reason I was given for my employment application being rejected during the background investigation process for a job I really wanted.

At first, this assessment shocked me. I have always believed that I possessed impeccable character! I believed this so deeply that this step in the hiring process didn’t cause me the least bit of concern.

Then I received their rejection and doubt set in. Did someone say something negative about me? Who could it have been? Did I do something that I neglected to disclose to my investigator? Did I NOT do something that I should have done?

Hurt mixed with anger appeared next. It didn’t help that “friends” tried to point fingers at everything and everyone in my life but me (and themselves, of course). I’ve learned that these people are not my true friends. They are like Job’s companions who didn’t glorify God because they advised him to curse the Heavenly Father and die. Take my advice and run as far and as fast as you can from these types of people. And as you are running, pray as hard as you can for them.

My healing began with true friends who expressed sympathy and made helpful and encouraging suggestions for securing employment elsewhere. I pray you know lots of these types of people. Those who will hug you and let you cry and they don’t need to say a word. Or even those who try to cheer you up and make you laugh because it hurts them to see you sad.

Not quite a week later, I can look in the mirror and admit that I DO have character issues! WE ALL DO! That is why Jesus died!!! If I had impeccable character as I arrogantly believed a week ago, I wouldn’t need a Savior! But I do. So do you. Have you asked Jesus to be the Lord of your life? What are you waiting for?

If you’ve decided to follow Christ, pray with me:

Jesus, I come to You today because I’m a sinner in need of a Savior. I admit that I do not have impeccable character and I need You to lead me in life. I know that You died for my sins, and I thank You. I also know that You rose from the dead and You have conquered death so I can live with You forever in heaven. Please come into my heart right now, and be the Lord of my life. In Your mighty name. Amen.

If you’ve just prayed, please contact a Christian friend or Pastor (or even me if you don’t have someone else) so that you can begin developing a wonderful relationship with Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen