Skip to main content

The Miracle of the Tomato Stick

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful and healthy sun-gold tomato plant. It promised to produce sweet, orange, cherry-sized fruit. So, the gardener planted it in his desert garden. Sunny grew tall and became bushy and made the gardener very happy as he awaited the harvest.

One day, a strong wind blew through the garden, bending and breaking one of Sunny’s branches. When the gardener found the bare, five inch long piece of stem, he thought of throwing it into the mulch pile, but instead thrust the broken stem into the soil near another plant.

The gardener watered his plants faithfully and gave them fertilizer. He watched the “tomato stick,” waiting for it to die. Then, the gardener would add it to the mulch pile in the garden. But the “tomato stick” did not die. It stayed green, and the gardener began to notice bumps on the stem.

Weeks later, the gardener saw a small stem on the “tomato stick”. A few days after that, the stem had a leaf on it. But the “tomato stick” was still near another plant in the soil. The gardener knew that he would have to move the “tomato stick” if it was going to be given the opportunity to grow.

So the gardener dug up the “tomato stick” and transplanted it into another part of the garden. He watered it and fertilized it and watched it grow another stem, another leaf, another stem, another leaf, until it became a beautiful and healthy sun-gold tomato plant.

Son of Sunny, formerly known as the “tomato stick,” now lives in the ground where the gardener planted him. The gardener is very happy watching him grow as he awaits the harvest.


Do you find that God often works like this? He takes our brokenness and makes us whole, beautiful and fruitful. Sometimes He uproots us or prunes us away from what is familiar and puts us in the dirt somewhere else. But He always feeds and waters us, caring for us, joyfully watching us grow. If you feel like you're being pruned and need some encouragement, check out John 15.

By the way, this "tomato stick" actually lives in my garden. And, as of this morning, has 3 buds on it that are getting ready to flower. The Lord often uses my garden to teach me things about Himself. What does He use to teach you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen