Skip to main content

A Summer of Psalms - Psalm 23

Self-Care is a popular topic these days.  In case you aren’t familiar with the term, self-care is anything you do to help yourself live well and stay physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually well.  You may have a self-care practice implemented in your life and not even realize it!  Some people read, go for walks, journal, engage in artistic or creative activities, write, get massages, pray, study the Bible, exercise, meal prep, etc.  So, what are some of your favorite self-care activities?  I challenge you to look at today’s psalm study though a self-care lens as well as a leadership lens.  The leadership lens will help you come up with techniques to encourage godly behavior in others.  This is a valuable skill.  You may help someone develop godly skills to cope with life challenges.

 

Today, we’re looking at Psalm 23.  God’s Provision appears all over these 6 verses.  Throughout our study, we will see how God cares for people.  We should probably take notes about how we should attend to those in our care.  And maybe we’ll even come away with a few tips about caring for ourselves.  Ultimately, this psalm reveals that, as a believer in Christ for salvation, I will dwell forever with the Lord, my Shepherd.

 

When we walk away from our time together today, I want you to know God cares for, and dwells with, His people.

 

Father-God, open our eyes and hearts to receive this familiar psalm in a fresh way. Teach us how to connect with You, care for ourselves, and those we are responsible for as we study today.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

 

Our text is divided into two parts, today:

1. The Lord is my Shepherd (Psalm 23:1-4)

2. You prepare a table before me Psalm 23:5-6)

 

Let’s take a deep look at Psalm 23.

 

Read Psalm 23:1-4.

 

This is another psalm of David.  It is beautiful to read his words, because, at the time he was anointed as Israel’s next king by Samuel, he tended sheep for his father.  David was writing from experience of what a good shepherd did for his sheep because he was a good shepherd.  Can you just imagine David doing this for his sheep?  Can you also see David receiving this level of care from God?  What about Jesus caring for us in this way?

 

So, what does it mean that the Lord is your Shepherd?  He is our provider.  He gives rest.  He provides (living) water.  He guides in righteousness.  He remains with us.  He protects.  He disciplines.  He comforts.  It means He tends and leads and guides and rescues and feeds.  It means that we know and obey His voice, and will not follow another shepherd.  It means that, under His care, His sheep lack nothing.  Are you one of His sheep?  If you believe in Jesus for salvation, you are!

 

So, as our Shepherd, what is it like to walk with Him throughout a day?  That’s how I saw this psalm.  What does the Lord Jesus, the Good Shepherd do for us?  The psalm tells us.  He makes me lie down in green pastures.  He makes us rest.  Sometimes, I think He does this by allowing me to get sick, and need to stay in bed.  I also see this as times He brings me to a place where I can just sit and enjoy His creation!  That might be on a hike, at a park, in my backyard, or at Giant’s Causeway in Ireland!  Sometimes, God just wants us to stop and rest.

 

He leads me beside quiet waters.  He leads me to places where I can refresh myself.  He does this through prayer.  He does this through Bible study.  He does this through discussing the Bible.  And through fellowship with other believers.  This is a place where I can take in deep drinks of Him!!!

 

He refreshes my soul.  Yes He does.  Having a relationship with Jesus Christ is like nothing else!  He makes me clean!  He lightens my burdens!  He brings me joy!  What a Savior!

 

He guides me along the right paths for His name’s sake.  He teaches me through His Word and guides me in prayer to do the right thing.  He transforms my very thinking as I spend time with Him to make me more like Himself.

 

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for He is with me.  Whoa!  Jesus’s people are never alone.  He will never leave us or forsake us.  Sometimes we know that in our head and we know that in our heart, but we still fear.  Is there something you’re afraid of?  Have you identified what is at the root of your fear?  Have you taken that thing to God?  Have you asked Him to rip that root out of your heart?  Bring it to Him right now in prayer.  I’ll wait.

 

When I succumb to fear, I have to re-focus.  I have to stop what I’m doing and make an effort to put my focus back on Christ and Who He is, and how powerful He is!  I have to remember that He loves me.  And how much He loves me.  Enough to die for me!  I have to remember He is sovereign.  I have to remember that what is happening to me is being allowed by Him for my good and His glory.  I have to remember that what is happening to me has been sifted through His fingers before it touches me!  I have to remember that His plans for me are good!  And that whatever is happening is part of His plan, or it wouldn’t be happening.  And I have to marinate in these thoughts.  Over and over again sometimes.

 

His rod and staff comfort me.  This is His discipline.  That word has a bad reputation, but it’s actually a beautiful word.  Can you see the word “disciple” in there?  We are His disciples when we submit to His discipline.  Scripture says He disciplines those He loves.  Those He considers to be His children.  His rod and staff should comfort you!  It means you are His!

 

This leads us to our first principle:

 

Jesus cares for His people’s “present” in every way.

 

What is your daily walk with God like?  What has Jesus given you that you’d like to thank Him for?  When has Jesus given you rest and enjoyment in His creation?  How might you make some time this week to enjoy His creation?  When has Jesus led you beside quiet waters?  How does Jesus refresh your soul?  Where is Jesus guiding you right now?  Do you find it difficult or easy to not fear evil?  What needs to change in your heart and mind to make your fears flee?  What are your feelings toward Christ’s discipline in your life?  What changes will you make to embrace and welcome His discipline?

 

Now let’s shift our perspective a bit.  It seems we are headed to a reward banquet.

 

Read Psalm 23:5-6.

 

This shift is very interesting to me.  How did we get from the field to the dining room?  Have the first four verses represented our walk on earth with Christ as our Shepherd, and these last two verses represent what is awaiting us in the future?

 

My Shepherd preparing a table before me in the presence of my enemies sounds like the Wedding Supper of the Lamb in Revelation 19!  So he is feeding me in these verses.  He is protecting me from my enemies in these verses.  He is healing me in these verses.  He is blessing me.  He is sending His goodness and love after me every day.  He is promising I will dwell with Him forever.  He is my home!

 

He anoints my head with oil.  He heals my wounds.  This is a bestowing of blessing.  Oil is often symbolic of the Holy Spirit in Scripture.  It is also associated with joy and gladness.  So much blessing that this verse goes on to say my cup overflows.  Such blessings!!!  Joy and gladness.  The Holy Spirit!!!  Abundant blessings!  The next verse mentions two of those blessings:

 

His goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life.  Once you become a Jesus-follower, His goodness and mercy follow you!  In Hebrew, the word for goodness means “beautiful” or “pleasant”.  Mercy is the unconditional love of Jesus, the Good Shepherd!  Can you picture these two blessings pursuing you?  What a beautiful picture!!!

 

I will dwell in His house forever.  Jesus is preparing a place for me in heaven with Him for eternity!  And the amazing thing is, I get to spend all my days on earth with Him, too!  His Spirit lives in me from the very moment I accept Him as my Savior!

 

Does this make you want to accept Jesus as your Savior?  If so, say this prayer with me:

 

Jesus, I am a sinner in need of a Savior.  And I acknowledge You are that Savior.  I believe You are God, and You came to earth to die for my sins.  I believe You rose on the third day, conquering death, and You are alive today at the right hand of the Father.  I thank You for dying for me, and for calling me to be Yours.  Amen.

 

If you said that prayer, praise Jesus!  Go find a Bible preaching church, start reading the Scriptures (I suggest beginning in the New Testament with the Gospel of John), and pray.

 

And here is our final principle:

 

Jesus cares for His people’s “future” in every way.

 

How has Jesus provided for you in the midst of persecution?  How has He protected you from enemies?  How has God made you glad and brought you joy?  Where is your cup overflowing?  How is Jesus’s goodness and mercy following you today?  In what ways are you preparing yourself to dwell with Jesus forever?  How are you enjoying the benefits of dwelling with Jesus now?

 

A shepherd has a lot of responsibility.

Are you a shepherd of sorts?  Everyone has a sphere of influence.  Whether you are a parent or a grand-parent or a neighbor or a teacher…

How are you caring for your “sheep”?  Are you pointing out all that Christ has done for them?  Are you helping them see these things for themselves?  How might you suggest a friend enjoy God’s creation, or a moment of peaceful serenity?  A hike?  A picnic?  A day at the beach?  Or the lake?  Lake waters can be nice and still.

What might refresh their soul?  Some time in the Scriptures and prayer?  Maybe listening to praise music?  Singing at the top of your lungs?  Going on a retreat?  Memorizing some verses?  Or serving in their church?  Serving is a great way to honor Jesus!

How would you advise someone to let go of fear and live in complete trust of God’s plan for their life?  How can you encourage a friend to keep walking obediently to Christ and the Scriptures in the midst of a trial?  How might you encourage someone to embrace Christ’s guidance and discipline?

Where has your friend been blessed by God?  How might you encourage a friend to give thanks and praise to God for their overflowing cup?  How might you help your friend recognize their overflowing cup of blessings?  Or the goodness and mercy of Jesus they experience?

How might you prepare a friend for their eternal home?

Maybe you could use these suggestions to come up with some self-care tips based on Psalm 23.  Which of these suggestions could you use to point yourself back to Jesus?  Let’s pray.

Father-God, thank You for such a robust spiritual benefits package!  Teach us to appreciate all the blessings You have given.  Teach us to shepherd those in our care.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen