Skip to main content

Homiletics: John 15:1-16:4


Content (not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture, fit on one line):

1. I tru vine my Fr=grdnr; He cut evry brnch brs fruit;evry brnch tht brs fruit He prunes so mo frutfl (1-2)

2. U alrdy cln bec o wd I spkn 2u; remn in me as I rem in u; no brnch br frut by self mst rem in vine (3-4a)

3. u br frut unlss rem me; I vine/u brnchs, if u rem in me&I in u, u br much frut, aprt frm me u do 0 (4b-5)

4. if u rem me, u lk brnch thrwn away/brnd if u rem me&my wds rem u ask whtevr wish&it b gvn u (6-7)

5. this 2 my Fr’s glry: u br much frut, showing 2b my disc (8)

 

6.as FrY me, I Yd u, rem n my Y; if u kp my cmds u rem n my Yjus as I kpt Fr cmds/rem n His Y(9-10)

7. I told u this so my joy in u/ur joy complt; my cmd=Yea othr as I Yd u (11-12)

8. >Yhas no1 thn this:2 lay dn life 4 friends; u my friends if u do wht I cmd (13-14)

9. I lngr call u srvts bec srvt kno mstr’s bus; instd I call u frnds 4 evrythg I lrnd frm Fr I md known 2u (15)

10. u choos me, I chos&apptd u br frut tht last,whtevr u ask n my nom Fr gv u;my cmd:Yea othr (16-17)

 

11. if wrld h8s u kp in mind it h8d me 1st; if u belongd 2 wrld it’d Yu as its own (18-19a)

12. as it is u belong 2wrld, I hv chosn u out o wrld that’s y wrld h8s u (19b)

13. remem I told u serv>mstr, if they persctd me, they will u; if they obeyd my tchng they’ll obey urs (20)

14. they’ll treat u this wy bec o my nom 4 they know One who sent me(21)

15. if I cm spkn 2 em they be glty o sin but now they’ve excuse 4 their sin; whoevr h8s me,h8s Fr (22-23)

16. if I done wrks no1 did,they glty o sin; they seen, h8d me&Fr;fulfil Law: they h8d me w/o resn (24-25)

17. Wn Advc8 cm I snd frm Fr, Sot who go frm Fr tstfy abt me u mst tstify 4u been w/me frm beg (26-27)

18.this I told u so fall away; they’ll put u out synagog; tm cming wn any1kills u thnk they offr svc 2G (1-2)

19. they do bec known Fr/me; I told u so wn tm cms u remem I warnd u; I tell u frm beg bec I w/u (3-4)

 

Divisions (run-on sentence OK, direct verbiage from Scripture):

1. Jesus is the true vine, His Father is the gardener and His people are the branches (15:1-8)

Principle: Christ’s disciples only bear fruit when connected to the Vine.

2. Jesus told friends, “Remain in my love, keep my commands, love each other.” (15:9-17)

Principle: Christ’s disciples remain in His love by obeying His commands to love each other.

3. Jesus warned His people, “The world hates you because it hated me first.” (15:18-16:4)

Principle: Christ’s disciples expect persecution from the world.

 

Subject Sentence (10-word sentence with proper structure showing exactly where you are in Scripture):

True vine Jesus commands, “Love,” and warns of world’s hate.

 

Aim (“To Cause My Audience To…” Know, See, etc.):

TCMATK A fruitful life is the direct result of connection with and obedience to Jesus Christ.

 

Application (not yes or no question.  Meant to bring about life change):

1. Where am I disconnected from the true vine and to what action will I commit to reconnect?

2. What tempts me away from remaining in Christ’s love and how can I protect against that temptation?

3. In what areas am I receiving the world’s approval and how can I turn those areas over to Christ?


If the Gardener cuts off every branch “in the Vine” that doesn’t bear fruit, how can we say one can never lose their salvation?  Are they “in Christ” or not?

*Where am I experiencing the Gardener’s pruning and how might this pruning make me more fruitful?

Clean?  Where does this thought come from? NIV Footnotes say the Greek for “he prunes” also means “he cleans”.

How do I remain in Jesus and He remain in me?

What am I attempting to do apart from Jesus?

How do I know if I am remaining in Jesus or if I am doing something apart from Him?

How is my joy made complete?  By keeping Jesus’ commands and thereby remaining in His love?

What does loving each other as Jesus has loved us look like?  The greatest love is laying down one’s life for their friends.

Jesus chose me to bear fruit.  What fruit am I bearing?

What evidence do I see that the world hates me?

What persecution am I experiencing?

How and what am I testifying about Jesus?

*Under what circumstances am I tempted to “fall away” and how might I prevent it?

What evidence do I see in the world that supports the idea that Christian persecution is a service to God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen