Skip to main content

Homiletics - Romans 7


Contents (not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture):  Where?                                                                Who?

1
1-2
Do you not know – for I speaking to those who know law – law has authority only as long as person lives; p.e. by law, married woman bound to husband, if husband dies, she released.
2
3
If she has relations w/another while husband alive, she adulteress, if husband dies, she released, not adulteress if she marries another.
3
4
You also died to law through Christ that you might belong to another, him raised from dead, that we might bear fruit for God.
4
5-6
When we in realm of flesh, sinful passions aroused by law at work so we bore fruit for death; now dying to what bound us, we released from law so we serve in the new way of the Spirit, not in old way of written code.
5
7-8
Is law sinful? Certainly not.  I wouldn’t have known what sin was if not for law, I wouldn’t know what coveting was if law not said, “You shall not covet”; Sin, seizing opportunity afforded by cmd, produced every kind of coveting, apart from law, sin dead.
6
9
Once I alive apart from law but when cmd came, sin sprang to life & I died.
7
10-11
I found cmd that intended to bring life actually brought death; sin seizing opportunity afforded by cmd, deceived me & thru cmd put me to death.
8
12
So law=holy, cmdmt=holy, righteous, good.
9
13
Did that which is good become death to me? No.  in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it used good to bring about my death so thru cmdmt sin might become utterly sinful.
10
14
We know law is spiritual, I am unspiritual, sold as slave to sin.
11
15-17
I not understand what I do, what I want to do, I do not, what I hate I do; if I do what I do not want, I agree law is good; it is no longer I who do it but sin living in me.
12
18-19
I know good does not dwell in my sinful nature; I desire to do good but cannot; I do not do good I want but evil I do not want – this I keep doing.
13
20
If I do what I do not want, it’s no longer I who do it but sin living in me.
14
21
This law at work: tho I want to do good, evil right there w/me.
15
22-23
For in my inner being, I delight in God’s law but I see another law at work waging war against law of my mind & making me prisoner of law of sin within me.
16
24
What a wretched man I am, who will rescue me from body subject to death?
17
25
Thx to God who delivers me thru Christ; I am slave to God’s law, my sinful nature a slave to law of sin.

 

Divisions (run-on sentence OK, direct verbiage from Scripture):

1
1-14
The law’s authority and nature
Principle:
Human beings are under the authority of the law until they die.
The law reveals sin.
We die to the law when we belong to Christ.
2
15-25
What I want to do and my sinful nature
Principle:
The sinful nature is powerful and must be actively fought.
The sinful nature in me is responsible for the wrong that I do but don’t want to do.
My sinful nature is always with me.

 

Subject Sentence (10-word sentence with proper structure):

The law reveals sin and the sinful nature is active.

 

Aim (Christian and Non-Christian):

TCMATK Accepting Christ as our Savior releases us from the authority of the law and enslaves us to God’s law, enabling us to battle the ever-present sinful nature.

 

Application:

1
Describe your relationship to the authority of the law.
How does one die to the law?
To Whom do you belong and why?
What sort of fruit are you bearing? What does this reveal about your relationship to the law and the Christ?
Compare and contrast the way of the Spirit and the way of the written code?
Explain how the law reveals sin.
How has the command that intended to bring life brought death?
How is the law spiritual?
2
Share an example of how you do not do what you want to do and do what you don’t want.
According to these verses, what is responsible for doing what you do not want to do?
Explain the law that is at work according to verses 21-25.
Where is evil according to verse 21 and how should this affect your prayer life?
Who rescues people from the body subject to death?  How does He do this?
How might you express your gratitude to God for delivering you through Christ?
To which are you a slave: God’s law or the law of sin?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen