Skip to main content

Bible Study: As It Was In The Beginning - Genesis - Chapter 25


Please forgive this rough draft format, as these are my raw study notes on the book of Genesis. I felt a great sense of urgency to publish them rather than waiting until I had the time to pretty them up. Thank you and I pray that God blesses you through this material.

Stacey


Take a few minutes to savor Genesis Chapter 25. Then return here and ponder the thoughts, answer the questions, and be sure to leave comments about your own revelations…



25:1 – Abraham married again at age 137 (or older)!

25:2 – And he had at least six more children! Keturah bore several of the Arab nations.

25:6 – He sent his other sons out of the land that belonged to Isaac.

25:7 – Abraham died at 175 years old. God promised he would live a long life (see 15:15). Ishmael was 89 and Isaac was 75 at this time. Esau and Jacob would be 15.

25:9-10 – Isaac and Ishmael buried their father with Sarah.

25:13-16 – Ishmael had 12 sons as foretold in 17:20.

25:18 – lived in hostility… - see 16:12.

25:21 – What a man!!! He was a man of prayer and lifted his wife up in prayer to the Lord!

They were married 20 years before their sons were born.

25:22 – the babies jostled. Ouch! God even listens to whiny, pregnant women. She was bold to go to God.

“It pays to take your questions to the top.” See Isaiah 55:6. (Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible – Higgs)

25:23 – God answered her!

The Bible does not say she pondered these things in her heart. Based on a couple of later situations (25:31; 28:1), I believe she told Jacob and Isaac at the very least.

25:26 – twins are typically born 6-10 minutes apart. The fact that Jacob grasped Esau’s heel was a miracle!

25:27 – the wild man and the mild man. hehehehe

25:27-28 – Isaac loved Esau because of his taste for wild game.

Did Rebekah favor Jacob because of his personality? Or because of God’s prophetic words to her in v. 23?

25:28 – The favoritism of the parents for the children came between them.

“What God has joined together, let man not separate.” (Matthew 19:6) See Ephesians 5:33.

25:30 – red stew – Esau couldn’t even identify the meal! It certainly wasn’t worth selling his birthright.

25:31 – how long had Jacob waited for this opportunity? Perhaps Rebekah shared with Jacob what God told her in 25:23, and he was waiting for an opportunity to usurp “his” position.

The birthright wasn’t just a double portion of the estate, but also leadership of the clan!

25:33 – swearing brings God into the transaction.

25:34 – “…ate, drank, got up, left…” - this happened very quickly. Esau didn’t savor the meal for which he sold his birthright. “Esau despised his birthright” – he rejected God’s blessings. He was godless.

Esau despised his birthright – he devalued it. It meant nothing to him.


What attributes of God have you observed in your study today? How will this change your relationship with Him?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen