Skip to main content

Praise Him! Encountering God Through Psalm 150 - Introduction

I am so excited that you’ve decided to join me on this thrilling journey of praise! When you truly open your heart to praising God, your life will never be the same. I encourage you to approach each day as a gift from Him specifically to you. I challenge you to look upon each situation and circumstance and try to find His hand in it. Experience your world with the eyes of a child, full of wonder and passion and awe at what your Daddy is capable of! Hallelujah!

Before we read through the scripture that will anchor our time together for the next few weeks, I’d like to go over the guidelines for this study.

The “Guidelines”

If you joined me in the study “Living the Blameless Life,” you’re already familiar with the guidelines. We previously called them ground rules, but, in honor of the Captain Barbossa line from my favorite movie of all time in the whole wide world, Pirates of the Caribbean, I’ve renamed them “guidelines”. If this is our first study together, please forgive my rambling and the plug for a great film. Here are the “guidelines”:

First, don’t take for granted that, just because the cover of the book says “Bible study”, it contains the whole truth. People make mistakes, so check up on me. Take what is written here and test it against the Word of God.
Second, you will get out of our time together what you are willing to put into it. So, be as generous with your time as you possibly can.
Third, don’t let this book become a crutch. I’ve allowed that to happen in the past and it can cripple you! Look some things up on your own. Use my endnotes to see what sources I’ve used and try them out for yourself.
Fourth, look at different translations of the scriptures for clarification.

So, if you’re ready to get started, I have a couple of questions to kick off our study.

What is praise?

You may praise your child by complimenting her behavior. Your boss might praise your work by giving you an award. Perhaps you praise your dog with treats and petting when he obeys you. Maybe you think of praise to describe singing in church on Sunday. What is your definition of “praise?”

I define praise as an expression of approval or admiration. It can be worship and exaltation. When I praise God, I am open and vulnerable and waiting for Him to touch me. Sometimes I lift my hands, other times I weep with my head lowered. There are also times that I dance.

How do you praise?

Are you a hand-raiser? A kneeler? A dancer? A singer? Do you pray? Or make music? Do you write songs or poetry or stories? Or maybe you have a totally different way of expressing praise – like doing your job to the best of your ability. Or maybe you clean up after yourself at the local fast food place. If you’re doing what you’re doing to honor God, you’re praising!

One of my pastors once said that we should leave a place better than we found it. He used the example of being kind to a waitress and improving her sour mood. Ever since he taught me that, I’ve wiped down the bathroom sinks after washing my hands at work. It may not seem like much, but I do it to worship the Lord. And there’s a practical bonus to doing this, it eliminates someone becoming irritable because they leaned against the sink and got water all over their work clothes. Now, I practice this everywhere: movie theaters, restaurants, church.

Ready, Set, Go

Now that we’ve established what we’re going to discuss for the next few months, let’s lay down the foundation for the rest of this study. Are you ready to study the final psalm? Get set. Go. Read Psalm 150.

What is your first reaction to Psalm 150? Does the psalm inspire you? Encourage you? Confuse you? Make you want to know more? Pull out a dictionary and look up any words that are unfamiliar to you.

At first glance, which “instrument(s)” do you think you resemble most? Why? (We will look up “lyre” in a later lesson, but you can do so now if you wish.)

It appears that praise is a pretty important activity. To punctuate the book of Psalms with such instruction on praise tells me that this is something we should all be doing. In fact, the word “praise” appears 13 times in these six, short verses. Wow! That strikes me as ironic. Perhaps the word was written once for each of the 12 tribes of Israel and once for all of the gentiles? Maybe not, but in any case, this simple song gives us the complete low-down on praise: who, what, where, when, why and how!

I absolutely love the psalms because they show an active and real relationship with God. They contain crying out and complaining and begging. They are full of declarations of love and honor and thanks. This last song of the psalmist, some believe Psalm 150 to be written by David, is full of nothing but praise! It’s as if the order of the psalms themselves is indicative of a healthy walk with the Lord. It begins with statements of fact and basic instruction and progresses through the ability to level with God honestly and finishes up with praising Him in all circumstances! What a beautiful picture this book paints for us.

Our ultimate goal should be to behave like this. No complaining. No fear. Just absolute trust in our Father with praise pouring from us simply because He is! After all, this is what we’ll be doing for all eternity, without a break or a need for one, once we arrive in heaven. So, how is your practice going?

Recommendations for Praise

Music: Sonicflood, Casting Crowns
Devotions: Daily In Christ by Neil Anderson, Praying the Names of God by Ann Spangler

That’s Praise?

Keeping God in mind, do one or more of the following as an act of praising Him. Or come up with ideas of your own. What did the Lord teach you from the experience? (Weed your garden, Take out the garbage, Prepare a meal, Drive your child to school, Vacuum your carpet, Get up early to pray)

Popular posts from this blog

Homiletics Training: Content

Homiletics .   By definition, “homiletic” is the art of preaching or writing sermons.   I think we would all agree that our pastors study the Bible thoroughly to deliver sermons every Sunday to their congregations.   The beautiful news is that every child of God can use this discipline to study the Bible for themselves. As a member of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) Leadership, part of my required preparation each week is to prepare homiletics for the passage we are studying.   BSF offers an engaging seminar on how to use this method to study the Scriptures.   I’ve taken the seminar several times under two different leaders and I’ve learned something new every time I’ve attended.   I’ve also been doing the process of homiletics for over ten years and I can say that there is no better teacher than the Holy Spirit in this process!   So keep practicing.   Keep sharing and discussing.   I’ve been posting my homiletics on this blog for quite a while, now.   And I would like to share wit

Homiletics: John 7

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ):   Where?                                                                 Who? 1 1-2 After, J went Gal, not Judea bec Jew ldrs look to kill; Jew fest of tabernacles near 2 3-5 J bros: go Judea so disc see works, show self to world; bros not believe 3 6-8 J: my time not here; world h8 me bec I testify works evil; you go festival, my time not cm 4 9-10 He stay Gal; bros left for fest, He went in secret 5 11-12 @ fest, Jew ldrs watch 4 J: where He?   Widespr whisp: He good man/He deceives ppl 6 13-14 No one say publicly for fear of ldrs; not till ½ way thru fest did J beg to teach 7 15-16 Jews amazed: how man get learning w/o been taught; J: my teaching cm frm who sent 8 17-18 Who choose do will of G find

Homiletics: John 10

Contents ( not sentence, direct verbiage from Scripture ): 1 1-2 VT ITY Phar, any1 enter shp pn by gate=thief/robbr; 1 enters by gate=shepherd 2 3-4 Gatekpr opns gate 4 hm/shp listn/he calls shp by name/leads out/shp follo bec kno voce 3 5-6 They nvr follo stranger, run away bec recog voce; J used fig o spch, Phar understd 4 7-8 Thrfr J: VT ITY I gate 4 shp; all who cm b4 me=thievs/robbrs, shp listn them 5 9-10a I gate, whoevr entr thru me savd/they cm/go/find pasture; thief cm only steal/kill/destry 6 10b-12 I gd shepd, lay dn life 4 shp; Hird hd shepd/own shp, see wolf/abandn shp/wlf attck/scattr 7 13-15a Man run bec care nthg 4 sheep; I gd shep; kno sheep/sheep kno me as Fr kno me/I kno Fr 8 15b-16 I lay dn life 4 sheep; have othr sheep of this pen